IGNORED

Touratech vs BMW

Mike_F

I am looking for insight panniers for my new 1200GS. I really like the look of the Touratech Zega, but I think the BMW bags might be more practical. I have a few questions. With the Zegas, can they be mounted lower than what I normaly see? The reason I ask is if I ever have a pillion with a bit larger tush than normal, will the tie down thingymabobers on the lids intrude on the pillions posterior? "I tried to be as politicly correct as I can"

Also, has anyone drop tested the expandable BMW bags? I am concerned about the robustness of the BMW bag.

Most of my riding will be commuting then two up touring while camping. I also plan to do more dirt than I have in the past.

Mike

Can't comment on the Zegas.

The BMW bags are quite nice for the commuter thing. The ability to expand the bags, or more importantly for lane splitting compress the bags is a nice feature. When off the bike, there are no unsightly mounts. I like 'em. HOWEVER, these things do not withstand crashes. I luckily haven't tested it myself, but if you go visit the advrider.com board, you'll see that they basically shatter. Also, if you are going off road, I've read that the dirt and stuff really mucks up the expansion mechanism. I've also read that at least early versions of the top case had a tendency to fall off. I think BMW supposedly fixed this though.

The GS folks seem to like Jesse's a lot. They do look rather rugged and they seem to survive crash tests well. Big problem appears to be (1) customer service and (2) some weird, case by case, fitment issues. Also, the mounts aren't purty when the bags are off.

Much has been written on advrider of late about the Micatechs. From what I've read, they deserve a hard look and very well may replace my BMW bags. Fit and finish looks top notch. They are huge!!!!! (two helmets in the right bag!!!!!). Mounts are really well done and don't mess up the looks of the bike when the bags are off. One tester crashed with them and they held up really well.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, one other thing I forgot to mention. The top of the Micatechs are flush with the pillion and have no protrusions. This set up is great if you wish to strap stuff on the back over the seat. Also probably would work well for passengers with larger tushes. tongue.gif

I have a GS Adventure with the Jesse bags. I originally looked at the Touratech ones, but I liked the narrower design of the Jesse bags. The only complaint I had was the Jesse's flip open (outwards) while the Touratech ones actually lift off. This is important when you have something tied down to the top as you have to disconnect, or loosen, them to get inside. On the other hand the flip out makes a good work or lunch tray. I've seen some crashes with the Touratech and some with the Jesses, and I think the Jesses come through a little better. As with the girth issue, the tops of my Jesse's are mostly back and a little below the seat height.

I have the Jesse's, and I really like them. They are tough, good looking, and hold a lot.

However, if you plan on primarily street riding, the factory ones are half the price, expandable, and can hold a helmet in the right bag.

If I were to do it again, I would give serious consideration to the factory luggage!

Jim cool.gif

Thanks everyone. Saw that thread on ADV, but went with the Touratechs. I hate buying stuff that you can't grope before ya buy blush.gif

Thanks again,

Mike

snapped the plastic holder on my bmw bags and dont even know how i did it. Asked the same question and went with the Jesses. Being installed at the dealer now. I use a roadcrafter 1 piece and couldnt fit it into the bmw bags

I like the new 1200 GS Adventure panniers.

12gsa-tankbag.jpg

Imagine what they would look like on a 1200 GS... hmmmmmmm... (photoshop magic):

1200gs-w-bmw-touratech-adv-panniers.jpg

Three questions: Do we know if these are indeed made by Touratech? Because they sure resemble their trademark "boxes" with the hooks on the lids. And, more importantly, will they be available to fit on the non-adventure 1200 GS? And, if ever, when would they be made available? I can only venture to guess summer 2006 or later. confused.gif

Ah, it's Christmas. I can wish, can't I? grin.gif

I'd be concerned about lower side panniers. Mine in the contracted position can drag the outside edges in corners. I wouldn't even think about expanding them or a lower positon because of this situation so If I don't need them I leave them at home.

I've always admired the fit and finish of the adventure luggage and am glad to see this is coming for the future.

It would be nice if they retrofit to the 05' GS mounting hardware...but I'm not expecting that to be the case.

It's still the lean angle clearance that is a hindering aspect, as well as the brake pedal, footpegs and shifter, but I've learned to deal with it.

Three questions: Do we know if these are indeed made by Touratech? Because they sure resemble their trademark "boxes" with the hooks on the lids. And, more importantly, will they be available to fit on the non-adventure 1200 GS? And, if ever, when would they be made available? I can only venture to guess summer 2006 or later.
It's always nice when you can answer your own questions! I just found the german version of the 2006 Touratech catalog on their site and in it they have pictures of the standard 1200 GS with the new adventure panniers:

1200gs-w-bmw-touratech-adv-panniers-2.jpg

It's always nice when you can answer your own questions! I just found the german version of the 2006 Touratech catalog on their site and in it they have pictures of the standard 1200 GS with the new adventure panniers:

Sweet. It looks like the frame of the new Adventure may be the same as the standard GS. If this works out to be true, I smell a major transformation for my Gs next year: New tank and side panels, new windscreen/winglets, new luggage!

Archived