IGNORED

Lowering foot pegs - how to ?

rlindner

I would like to replace my current foot pegs on my 2012 RT1200 with the lowering kit pegs from Suburban Machinery. Is it difficult to do? What comes off first? I see a grey cap and next is a silver looking C ring. How do you get that off?

Do I need to be concerned about the shift lever or the brake pedal? Looking at the brake lever, it appears that minor adjustments can be made by simply moving a nut up or down a single bolt shaft. Obviously I'm master mechanic material.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

First the circlip, then pull the plastic cap/cylinder and the pin. Then the spring comes out.

The peg lowerer (sp?) goes in with the spring in it then the pin then the plastic cap thingy and the circlip. The toughest part is getting the plastic cap in. You might find it easier to pry on the side of the spring to center it to the pin.

The "old" pegs go in with the new pin and a stainless cotter pin.

By all means post how it works out - if it makes a noticeable

improvment. I've been thinking about those things for nearly

30k miles, now.

I've got an 04 R1150R that I figured a way to bolt on GS footpegs

and mounting plates along with the GS brake and clutch controls to

match, and it lowered the pegs nearly 2" and moved them forward

nearly 2" also. And with used parts from Beemer Boneyard it wasn't

any more than the little aftermarket ones that only moved the pegs

a little over an inch.

BOY was that worth it, but the pegs were more in need of moving

than the ones on the 1200RT which aren't nearly as hard on the

knees on a long trip, but still - - I'd like to give it a try

even if it's not a real big improvment

So - let us know what you think! And good luck!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

macx

YMMV but, I find that the bona fide highway peg setups make a bit more difference in cutting off knee pain than the main peg placement. I lowered mine because I felt a little bit cramped in the low seat position and the high position was too high for my slippery winter driveway. That is less of an issue after having an intermediate height seat made while the lowering kit was in the mail. I installed them anyway.

I did notice some very minor mid back pain that I haven't had on this bike after a couple hours with the lowered pegs. Not sure what the source of that is but, if the hips rotate a bit due to a slightly lower foot position, other things can get activated.

Shifter and brake pedal position should probably be adjusted for most riders.

Archived