IGNORED

Police officer killed in wrong way crash.

ltljohn

3:15 am is prime time for wrong way drunks. Stay out of the #1 (fast) lane late at night early morning hours. Drunks think that is the slow lane when they merge wrong way onto the freeway.

RIP

More info..and of course it is confirmed the wrong way was DUI. Like I predicted, it happened in the #1 lane.

Due to the closing rate, wrong way drivers are very hard to detect. When you do it's too late for evasive action.

I've encountered two them while I was on duty and both times I never saw them coming. I'm alive only because I was not in the fast lane.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Off-Duty-Officer-Killed-On-I-95-161710245.html

Sure hope the drunk killer is tried, convicted and serves an appropriate sentence for 1st degree murder. In my opinion that's what she/she has done. Getting drunk and driving is intent.

So very, very sad to read about cases like this, where the best in our society is taken out, usually with little notice, but the very worst in our society.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I had heard something before about drunk head-on collisions on highways, which is that even though they're on the wrong side of the median (due to having missed the "WRONG WAY/DO NOT ENTER" signs at the top of the exit ramp) they go with long experience and keep to the rightmost (from their perspective) lane. Thus, most head-on collisions with drunks on divided highways tend to be in the passing lane.

The picture that was with the OP's article this morning (it has since been removed) showed officers investigating a crash scene in the leftmost lane of the highway, so this incident appears to be consistent with that theory.

The take-home lesson is that if you find yourself out on a divided highway at an hour when drunks are likely to be driving (yes, that could be any time, but it's most likely to be between sundown and sunrise), stay out of the passing lane unless you're actually passing someone.

Paul Mihalka

"stay out of the passing lane unless you're actually passing someone."

Good advice any time of day...

How sad. It seems like there also have been a number of these types of incidents in the Chicago area over the past few months. The common denominator seems to be some sort of intoxication.

Here in New Messico, we have more wrong way head ons than anywhere else I am aware of. (This seems to be a product of the combination of elevation and culture).

Anyway, a few years ago, after a bunch of these accidents in quick succession, a reporter did some research. Conclusions were, (As others stated) stay out of the fast lane. But also, if you see them coming, pull over and shut off your lights. It seems that drunks target fixate much more than sober folks. Right after the article was published, a drunk hit a truck that was pulled off the side of the road, headlights on, almost headlight to headlight.

Maybe we could let Darwin work on this, by posting empty decoy trucks with lights on, parked on the side of the road. Drunks could run into those, leaving the innocent alone.

Well not always. Except for wee hours of the morning, I always ride my motor in the #1 lane (aka passing or fast lane). This keeps any potential threats only on my right and leaves the left shoulder as an escape. I also ride fast enough so I am always passing.

The intent is to stay away as far as possible from on and off ramps.

Riding in the #1 lane also gives you instant access to lane splitting if needed.

AdventurePoser

If there is not much traffic, I'll stay to the right and pass people as necessary, but when it's thick and running fast, I always use the far left lane or carpool lane if possible. I'd like to think this shields me from at least some errant drivers...Of course, YMMV.

Steve

More information trickles out. linky

Looks like TGI Fridays will be a party in the civil suit for serving Leck the alcohol that contributed to the death of officer Lorenzo.

More information trickles out. linky

Looks like TGI Fridays will be a party in the civil suit for serving Leck the alcohol that contributed to the death of officer Lorenzo.

According to the article he paid his bill at 1:15 A.M. and the crash was at around 3:15. I wonder where he was for those 2 hours. It is only about 10 miles from Fridays to the accident site.

I'm sure Friday's is going to say he went somewhere else to drink in the between time, but from my experience, it isn't going to matter in a civil suit, they'll be the ones liable.

Noticed a rise in the road just before the crash site so with the limited vis & 120+ mph closing speed he did not have a chance. Sad!

Kevin-RT1150

Where did this guy go? I assume this Friday's was in the area and the rest of PA the bars close at 2A. Is Philly different?

My point is, the Tragedy occurred at 3:15A

Where did this guy go? I assume this Friday's was in the area and the rest of PA the bars close at 2A. Is Philly different?

My point is, the Tragedy occurred at 3:15A

Bars close a 2am in Ca too. Many patrons meander out to the parking lot at closing time and continue to party around the cars. Usually someone brings a cooler in a trunk to share. After an hour, the drunks finally leave the parking lot.

Looking at what he drank at Fridays it was not all that much. I would not drive after that but I would also not be so drunk that I would miss all the wrong way signs and get on the wrong side of the highway. He may have had a few before going to Fridays and a few somewhere else after he left. There are after hours clubs that are open until 3:00 A.M. unfinished drinks collected at 3:30. Unless he tells us we may never know.

Looking at what he drank at Fridays it was not all that much. I would not drive after that but I would also not be so drunk that I would miss all the wrong way signs and get on the wrong side of the highway. He may have had a few before going to Fridays and a few somewhere else after he left. There are after hours clubs that are open until 3:00 A.M. unfinished drinks collected at 3:30. Unless he tells us we may never know.

In a vehicular homicide, it is imperitve to trace his whereabout prior to the crash.

Cell phone records, video cameras, charge cards and witnesses will sing like a bird if the perp "lawyered up".

• 11 months later...

Well this guy has a trial date. Charges include third degree homicide and homicide by vehicle while under the influence. Trial is set for October 21st.

Well not always. Except for wee hours of the morning, I always ride my motor in the #1 lane (aka passing or fast lane). This keeps any potential threats only on my right and leaves the left shoulder as an escape. I also ride fast enough so I am always passing.

The intent is to stay away as far as possible from on and off ramps.

Riding in the #1 lane also gives you instant access to lane splitting if needed.

Hi, upflying. I'm sorry if this may be a hijack, but (in Calif) can I ride in the No. 1 lane fast enough to keep passing and not have to worry about being pulled over for speeding? What would be a reasonable passing speed difference, so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting a ticket? Thanks.

---John.

The answer to your question will be "use your best judgement".

Officially any form of speeding is illegal. From an ethics standpoint, cops cannot and should not tell you how fast you can go over the speed limit to avoid being stopped.

That said, my personal and proprietary "professional tolerance" is 15 over...but not always.

Lighthiker90
Well this guy has a trial date. Charges include third degree homicide and homicide by vehicle while under the influence. Trial is set for October 21st.

What has happened to the 6th ammendment lately? Specifically the speedy part. July to October does not qualify as speedy. Neither does the Zimmerman trial.

Rights intact.

Msny serious cases may involve a waiver of right.

X2, waiver of speedy trial rights is often a defense tactic to hopefully heal emotions, lose evidence, misplace witnesses, fog memory and add credit for time served.

Rights intact.

Msny serious cases may involve a waiver of right.

X2, waiver of speedy trial rights is often a defense tactic to hopefully heal emotions, lose evidence, misplace witnesses, fog memory and add credit for time served.

Looking at the court docket there are multiple continuances not sure if they are defense or prosecution.

• 2 weeks later...
CuriousBikeRider

So Bob, question for you . . .

Since you're the duly designated representative for all shield wielding officials (at least in this post), do cops apply the same speed judgements to motorcycles as they do cars? Is a vehicle a vehicle? or are they going to give a little more slack to the two wheeler because they know they're having fun?, OR less slack because the danger is increased?

Thanks for your perspective.

Curious Bike Rider (aka George - not the new Royal baby George, but hopefully related)

Nope, no slack, to me a vehicle is a vehicle. Generally, cops will be less tolerant of motorcycles speeding. Because they are "fun", riders often get carried away with speed with disproportionate and tragic results.

The lack of tolerance factor could go up if LEO's see flip flops, tank tops, shorts and beanie helmets on sport bike riders.

• 2 months later...

Guilty plea in crash death of Philadelphia police officer Brian Lorenzo

Quote from the article

"As for the criminal trial, Leck is facing 20 to 40 years in prison. Sentencing has been set for December 2nd."

LINKY

Not good enough. :P

I'm sure it was a plea bargain weighing a lot of different factors.

Not saying that's right, but w/o plea bargains, our court systems, already overloaded, would grind to a complete halt.

I would also guess the family was consulted about the length of sentence.

Still a damn shame to see a LEO needlessly lose his life. :cry:

• 1 month later...

Not enough in my opinion.

From the CBS 3 Philly website...

A Levittown, Pa. man was sentenced today to 10-20 years in prison, plus an additional 10 years on probation, for the wrong-way DUI crash on Interstate 95 last year that killed a Philadelphia police officer on his way home from his duty shift.

LINKY

Archived