IGNORED

alternator noise, pulley?

scottnew

In trying to get this little project on the road I have noticed there is some noise coming from the alternator area.. (2000 r1100rt). It sounds like a bearing that is about gone or something like that.. Another part to add to my wishlist? Keep in mind that this bike sat for four years.. Odd thing to me, is that if the alternator is going out-- its annoying because it charges just fine.. Maybe internal parts that need grease? I don't know which direction to lean with this one I'm scratching my noggin..

Morning Scott

It could very well be an alternator bearing going out. Or maybe as simple as the belt going bad or even the upper pulley that has rusted in one spot while sitting.

Could even be some loose alternator attachments allowing the alternator to buzz & growl. Check all the alternator fasteners to see if they are tight.

Maybe start by removing the alternator belt then giving the alternator shaft a spin by hand. If you can feel roughness or hear bearing noise then remove the alternator & take it to an alternator repair shop. (or replace alternator), or (take alternator apart & try to find new bearings)

While the belt is off inspect the pulley's & belt.

If you have a bad alternator bearing it will still charge OK but the bearing(s) will degrade until it gets real noisy, or the rotor hits the stator damaging the alternator, or it locks up, or ??????

Good Morning Dirtrider,

I shall follow your advice and post what I come up with or find for as a thanks for your knowledge :) I hadn't considered the idea of a rusted spot from sitting or even hardware that may need to be tightened.. I'm excited to get in and take a look now..

Archived