IGNORED

GPS Connector under steering head power off time(R1200RT)

Gene O

I've gotten the 'BMW Maintenance Plug' that fits into the connector under the steering head. I hooked up my handy multi-meter to double check which leads were negative and positive. What I discovered is that this connection doesn't go dead until 15-18 minutes after I switch the bike off. Is this normal? I would have thought that a switched connection like this wouldn't stay on more than 2 or 3 minutes at most. This is on a 2010 R1200RT.

Evening Gene

The 15-18 minutes sounds a bit on the long side but yes that is normal for that circuit to take quite a while to shut down after key off as it is ZFE controlled.

If using something like a Zumo 550 then that circuit shutting down after a while can trigger the GPS to come back on if you shut the GPS off & walk away (just something to watch out for).

I lose power from my connector after 60 seconds.

2011 R1200RT

I've timed it...60 seconds here as well.

For SPX and bikebits, are you timing with your GPS connected? The OP used a multimeter, which provides almost no load to the circuit. A GPS provides a bigger load, which may effect the time to power off.

For SPX and bikebits, are you timing with your GPS connected? The OP used a multimeter, which provides almost no load to the circuit. A GPS provides a bigger load, which may effect the time to power off.

With the GPS connected...

In addition to load, battery voltage could be a factor. The ZFE may shut down the circuit sooner if the battery is weak. However, since BMW doesn't release much technical information about their motorcycles, this is just a guess.

I tested this with the GPS attached. It still takes 15 minutes after I switch the bike off to deenergise. Maybe my ZFE is sluggish or running an extremely slow clock. As long as it switches off, I don't have to worry about having constant hot contacts on the Garmin cradle but I'm wondering if I'm running any risks mounting or dismounting the Garmin while the cradle is still hot.

There's supposed to be numbering on the plug (1-3) but I couldn't find it. Looking at the end of the maintenance plug with the three yellow wires pointed at your face, left is negative, middle is speed pulse(unused), and right is positive. Use a meter if you have one to double check. Positive is the one to connect to the red fused wire from the cradle. Negative goes to the black.

I forgot to add... when looking at the maintenance connector with the wires pointed towards you, the wires should be arranged like an upside down V. Something like .'. Then the left, middle, right descriptions as posted above will be accurate. If you haven't gotten to the plug on the bike as yet, it has a cover in place that locks into a 'squeeze tab'. The connector was taped to another cable run and I couldn't get to the 'squeeze tab' until I cut it loose. (I couldn't think of the proper technical name for those little tabs that you have to squeeze to release most connectors)

Archived