IGNORED

NAV IV installation

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Going to pickup my nav iv tomorrow. Checking the the board to see if the are instructions or guidance to be offered for doing the installation myself Sunday. I have no idea what help comes in the box. Thanks in advance.

Just installed one on my GS. Instructions were good, althought I could have done the install with out them. The only thing was directions showed mounting the GPS cradle to the bar mount.

I did it according to the directions, and the friction clamp was shown on the bottom. With that conf, it blocked the tach, so I flipped the mount 180 deg to the clamp, so the clamp was on the top. I can now see the tach.

dirtdreamer50

Below is from BMW's website, in reference to the free Nav IV.

It states that the mount is included, but not the install fees. Still waiting for mine to arrive. tomp dd50

"BMW Navigator IV will be delivered directly to dealers after new vehicle purchase is registered with BMW NA warranty department. Mount is included. Labor charges and all other local fees associated with the installation of the GPS system are not included with this offer. No cash value. Limited time offer. See your authorized BMW Dealer for additional details. Promotion runs June 1, 2012 through August 31, 2012."

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Thanks for the info. Actually looks straight forward.

Just picked it up on the way home from a small trip.

If I get motivated, I might post up an install pictorial. I usually have good intentions but stop taking pictures about half way through and then it's useless.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Did it this morning.

Simple but, not simple. Very simple mechanical integration. The most difficult part, that took 95% of the time, was routing the harness. It is supposed to go down under the trim panel underneath the windshield. I finally surrendered and routed it around the instrument display and out the bottom.

If it had routed properly, the whole job would have taken an hour....max.

If you want the harness routed "properly" you may have to go to the dealer or use more expletives than I did. The latter can help with English cars.

dirtdreamer50

Did you remember to take the pictures you mentioned earlier? Still waiting on my unit to arrive and don't want to depend on the dealer to install. If no pictures, that's cool, too...tomp dd50

Danny caddyshack Noonan

No pics. I felt too stupid after reading the instructions. Tons of pics in there. The only thing not very clear is:

A: How to get the harness inside the forward body work, so I didn't. I routed it on the tach side being careful to push it out of the way of the screw that sits at about 1:00 o'clock.

B: That both connectors on the harness need to be connected. It isn't hard. There are three connectors on the yoke, just use the two that fit onto the harness.

Other than that, pretty simple.

I just installed my Navi IV a week ago. Pretty easy install. Remove windshield, remove instrument cluster bezel. Install mounting bar and route the wiring harness through the hole exposed by removing the bezel. Install the square plastic clamp to the nav chassis and to the bar. Cut zipties holding the navi prewire plug from frame and connect to harness. Rezip tie, reinstall bezel and windshield. Admire your entry into the 21st century.

pics:

IMG_01201.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

yes it is slightly off center I took the pics before making that final adjustment (if you center the nav chassis over the instrument cluster this is what you get - because the unit sticks out to the right past the chassis. So keep it a little left of center.)

• 3 weeks later...

better pics, properly centered. I do prefer the GPS mounted up high like this so I'm not taking my eyes off the road to check it

rsz_img_0008.jpg

rsz_img_0007.jpg

Archived