IGNORED

Service Indicator 2011 R1200GSA 3800 miles

pilotvic

I have a 2011 R1200GSA. It only has 3800 miles since new.(I have several bikes and an airplane. My time must be divided between these possessions that own me!) Delivery was approximately FEB 2011. When I started it yesterday a message on the instrument panel indicated 05 2012 and then it changed to read service. Apparently, I only have 600 miles to ride before an annunciator light comes on. I have changed oil and filter 2 times myself. I cannot understand why I have a service message on such a new engine. Is there any way that I can reset the service indicator? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

I have a 2011 R1200GSA. It only has 3800 miles since new.(I have several bikes and an airplane. My time must be divided between these possessions that own me!) Delivery was approximately FEB 2011. When I started it yesterday a message on the instrument panel indicated 05 2012 and then it changed to read service. Apparently, I only have 600 miles to ride before an annunciator light comes on. I have changed oil and filter 2 times myself. I cannot understand why I have a service message on such a new engine. Is there any way that I can reset the service indicator? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

It sounds to me like your annual service is due. BMW motorcycles require service every 6000 miles or one year whichever comes first. Hopefully, someone on this forum near you will reply, and will be able to help you reset the light with their GS 911

You are a bit far away. But I could reset it. The dealer is also a bit far away for you, and may charge to reset it.

It comes on based on date and mileage. And has nothing to do with the service or the operation of the engine.

It's like a post it note on your calendar or odometer.

dc

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Since I'm a camhead newb, I'll ask. Are there only two methods (dealer and GS911) to reset that? I don't do much servicing at dealers so, I'm confident that I'll be dealing with that in the future.

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: No one has found any sort of "ground pin #X on the diagnostic connector for Y seconds to reset" procedure. I believe that is in part due to the fact that the reset generates the next reminder date and mileage based on the current date/mileage -- something the electronics apparently are not set up to do via a simple grounding procedure.

It's a computer program. You can't just use a paper clip to short out a computer program. Unless perhaps you want the whole computer to not work.

dc

Since I'm a camhead newb, I'll ask. Are there only two methods (dealer and GS911) to reset that? I don't do much servicing at dealers so, I'm confident that I'll be dealing with that in the future.

Afternoon Peter

On that service indicator--

You can have the dealer re-set it but that will only gain you miles until next service or 1 year which ever comes first. With dealer re-set it will have to be set at last once a year.

Or use a GS-911 to re-set it, that will allow it to be set a few years farther into the future & many miles into the future (GS-911 won't allow it to be turned off though).

Or just leave the service reminder showing. After boot up it will just be a small unobtrusive "service" showing that will cause no harm & you won't even notice it while riding. It is just a reminder & in no way effects engine or system operation.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Thanks DR.

Might have to put one on the Xmas list. The S1000RR forum has a guy selling them as well. Also saw a note re:counterfeit ones while surfing.

Peter

There has to be quite a few riders in your area with the GS911. Each one is good for 10 bikes, or more.

dc

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Excellent point David, I remember seeing that on their website. Your map is in the mail BTW. Thanks!

Archived