IGNORED

Simple question - which way to turn headlite knob to lower?

macx

I did a Search and got 1500 answers, the titles of the first couple pages I looked at didn't suggest there was much discussion about this topic, so - -

I found the knob (why do they hide it like that?!, and my dealer has twice failed to adjust them down during warranty servicing, just like other folks have said) but nothing I've found so far tells me which way to turn it to lower the low beams a little.

I don't have anyone to help me watch while I adjust, and no good level ground close to a wall.

With a good grip, I can turn it by hand. Tried it maybe 1/2 turn last nite and not sure but I think they were a little lower during my 4:30am ride to work. Looking toward the front of the bike, I think I turned it clockwise.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Adjusted the headlight down on my new 2012RT yesterday. I didn't have a 13mm socket for my 1/4 drive set handy, but discovered the 1/2" socket fits the under dash adjustment nut nicely.

Got it lowered - found out I had to adjust the dash knob to get the arm out of the way so I could slip a deep well 13mm / 1/2 inch 1/4 drive socket over it.

Used a short 1/4 drive ratchet, with handle pointing about 5:00 to slip the socket over the adjustment nut. I don't know if you'd need a deepwell socket, probly not, it's just what I had at hand.

I used my right hand and guided the socket on with my fingers. Once I found where that nut is, it wasn't difficult.

Wish I could say the same for changing the headlite bulb!!!

I'm 65 and not as flexible as I used to be, and can't see so good, either. But even if I was 30 again I think I'd need double jointed finger knuckles and wrists and eyeballs on the ends of my fingers! What a royal PITA!!! Whoever engineered that mess should be slapped every morning before they get up!! I love the bike, but was about ready to give it away to the next unsuspecting fool that walked by. Ended up all the tupperware off of the left side besides the tank rail, and it was still difficult. 2 hours and I smashed a pair of glasses.

Of course, anyway - I forget momentarily (too PO'd to think straight right now), but I think I turned it clockwise to lower it. Was pretty obvious - each 1/4 turn of the ratchet visibly moved it.

Then I readjusted the dash knob to about half way or so and now that actually works, too!

• 1 month later...

Just FWIW, I was tyring to adjust the headlight down on my '10 R1200RT by rotating the knob on the instrument panel, but did't seem to want to move the headlight assembly at all. After some head-scratching, I realized that my Cee Bailey Headlight Guard was against the fairing surrounding the headlight assembly. Since the guard is very ridgedly mounted to the headlight, it was not allowing movement of the headlight assembly. Duh!

Anyway, if you happen to have a protector on yours, remove it before twisting your adjustment knob so you don't break or bend anything.

Lesson learned.

Good luck and safe riding,

Curt

Thanks, Gordon, good to know. Turning the knob while watching the headlight on a marked wall didn't seem to chang the beam. I checked the linkage from the knob to the headlight, and everything looked in order. Any other suggestion as to what might prevent the reflector from moving in response to turning the knob?

Archived