IGNORED

RIP Dex

Roadwolf

So sad to lose an American hero this close to 4th of July. RIP Dex in the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Can't let the week finish without sharing a little Dex snippet:

I was the Un-organizer for Unrally Dos in Little Springs Arkansas. On the last day when most bikes have left, there were a number of us sitting on a picnic bench reminiscing and winding down.

Then this affable gent takes a seat to my right, and says what a wonderful time he had coming out to meet and ride with us all. One of my friends at the table who knew I was in the military makes a reference to it, calling me "Spy-boy" or something. So, the gent says "So, you were in the military?" I say, "Yep, a while back I'm afraid." He queries "What did you do?" I reply, "I was stuck in the back of an Air Force plane for six years listening to Russians."

Then he smiles, nods and says "Ahhh, Rivet Joint, eh?"

Who IS this guy, I'm thinking? While not classified, knowing the platform codename for the USAF RC-135 reconnaissance mission isn't exactly on the forefront of the average person's vocabulary.

"Uh, yep, you got it." I blurt out, with my now squinty eyes that are met with his knowing smirk. "So" I say, "You obviously have a military background, are you active duty?" Affable gent leans back a little, realizing he was now in a conversation he probably didn't intend and says "Well, I'm kinda on loan from the Navy to NASA right now."

I take a chance, but I think I got him cornered. I takeover the knowing smirk territory, give my best Columbo quizzical head tilt, lean in and quietly say, "Hmmm, the only people whom I know who are "on loan from the US Navy to NASA" (and pause for effect).... are Shuttle Drivers."

His smirk turns into a full smile, confirming that I hit bullseye, and he confesses "Well, that's true, but not yet." He extended his hand, shook mine and said "I'm Dex."

I am going to miss knowing that Alan Poindexter is out there. I have enjoyed a life-altering opportunity to witness him fly off the tarmac during STS-122, and for that I am eternally grateful. Many of us have ridden with him, and personally witnessed his joyful ways. In many respects, I know he really, truly valued his relationships here as a respite from the rigorous demands of his work.

We are lucky to have known him, and he us. We are diminished, but grateful.

• 5 weeks later...
StretchMark

From Dex's wife Lisa. I plan to be in Monterey Friday if anyone wants to join me.

"Hi all, 

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for the outpouring of concern and support that we have received from all of you following Alan’s recent death. Whether you knew Alan as a steadfast friend, devoted father, adoring husband, Naval Aviator, Astronaut, Dean of Students or met through his participation in many activities in the community, your expressions of caring have been greatly appreciated and your kindness has been deeply cherished. 

We want to let you know that a memorial for Alan has been set for 1:00 pm on Friday, August 10, at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. 

The memorial will take place outdoors on the lawn adjacent to Hermann Hall. Eulogies will be delivered by U.S. Air Force Col. James P. Dutton Jr. — the pilot of the STS-131 mission to the International Space Station aboard space shuttle Discovery, which was led by Alan from April 5-20, 2010; Vice Admiral Dan Oliver (Ret.), President of the Naval Post Graduate School; and Lt. Col. Lang Sias, a life-long friend and distinguished pilot. A missing man formation will be flown by the VX-9 Vampires, the Navy’s premier Air Test & Evaluation Squadron, immediately following the memorial. 

Interment at Arlington National Cemetery is scheduled for November 2012- for more detailed information and updates, please visit the Captain Alan Poindexter Memorial - Trust for Samuel P. Poindexter Facebook Page.

In response to the many inquiries we’ve received about the way in which people may be able to help, we’ve established a beneficial special needs trust that will provide for the long-term health, support and maintenance of Samuel, our son who is severely autistic and epileptic.

Needing 24-hour care, Samuel’s acute and challenging special needs will be supported for the rest of his life via the Samuel Pfeiffer Poindexter Special Needs Trust. Those interested in making a gift of a donation may do so via:

The Samuel Pfeiffer Poindexter Special Needs Trust

Wells Fargo Advisors

208 Golden Oak Court, Suite 300

Virginia Beach, VA 23452 

Questions and requests for information may be addressed to Chris Holladay or any other member his team at Wells Fargo Advisors via 866.377.4950 (Toll Free) or 757.431.6311 (Office). Or Chris can be reached at  chris.holladay@wellsfargoadvisors.com  

We are truly grateful for all of your concern and support these past few weeks and hope that you will be able to join us as we celebrate the life and legacy of our beloved father and adored husband and honor his dedicated service to our country as a combat-proven Naval Aviator, decorated Fighter Pilot, experienced Test Pilot, respected Astronaut and esteemed Dean of Students at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School.

Thank you again for your overwhelming kindness throughout these past few weeks and we appreciate your consideration of the Samuel Pfeiffer Poindexter Special Needs Trust. 

Most Sincerely,

Lisa"

Lone_RT_rider
One of my friends at the table who knew I was in the military makes a reference to it, calling me "Spy-boy" or something.

I believe that was me. I was in close proximity to that conversation if my memory serves me well. That was the first and last time I had ever met Dex. I barely knew him.... but I send my best to his family and friends.

It always sucks when we loose one of our own here at BMWST.com, this is no exception. :(

Something I said in February 2007.... "I'll see you on the other side with a full tank of gas and a fresh set of tires" Ride on brother...

The family has sent the following:

> From: Lisa Poindexter

> Date: August 5, 2012 8:20:55 PM EDT

> To: Undisclosed recipients: ;

> Subject: CAPT Alan Poindexter Memorial - Announcing the Samuel Pfeiffer Poindexter Special Needs Trust

>

> Hi all,

>

> Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for the outpouring of concern and support that we have received from all of you following Alan’s recent death. Whether you knew Alan as a steadfast friend, devoted father, adoring husband, Naval Aviator, Astronaut, Dean of Students or met through his participation in many activities in the community, your expressions of caring have been greatly appreciated and your kindness has been deeply cherished.

>

> We want to let you know that a memorial for Alan has been set for 1:00 pm on Friday, August 10, at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA.

>

> The memorial will take place outdoors on the lawn adjacent to Hermann Hall. Eulogies will be delivered by U.S. Air Force Col. James P. Dutton Jr. — the pilot of the STS-131 mission to the International Space Station aboard space shuttle Discovery, which was led by Alan from April 5-20, 2010; Vice Admiral Dan Oliver (Ret.), President of the Naval Post Graduate School; and Lt. Col. Lang Sias, a life-long friend and distinguished pilot. A missing man formation will be flown by the VX-9 Vampires, the Navy’s premier Air Test & Evaluation Squadron, immediately following the memorial.

>

> Interment at Arlington National Cemetery is scheduled for November 2012- for more detailed information and updates, please visit the Captain Alan Poindexter Memorial - Trust for Samuel P. Poindexter Facebook Page.

>

> In response to the many inquiries we’ve received about the way in which people may be able to help, we’ve established a beneficial special needs trust that will provide for the long-term health, support and maintenance of Samuel, our son who is severely autistic and epileptic.

>

> Needing 24-hour care, Samuel’s acute and challenging special needs will be supported for the rest of his life via the Samuel Pfeiffer Poindexter Special Needs Trust. Those interested in making a gift of a donation may do so via:

>

> The Samuel Pfeiffer Poindexter Special Needs Trust

>

> Wells Fargo Advisors

>

> 208 Golden Oak Court, Suite 300

> Virginia Beach, VA 23452

>

> Questions and requests for information may be addressed to Chris Holladay or any other member his team at Wells Fargo Advisors via 866.377.4950 (Toll Free) or 757.431.6311 (Office). Or Chris can be reached at chris.holladay@wellsfargoadvisors.com

>

> We are truly grateful for all of your concern and support these past few weeks and hope that you will be able to join us as we celebrate the life and legacy of our beloved father and adored husband and honor his dedicated service to our country as a combat-proven Naval Aviator, decorated Fighter Pilot, experienced Test Pilot, respected Astronaut and esteemed Dean of Students at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School.

>

> Thank you again for your overwhelming kindness throughout these past few weeks and we appreciate your consideration of the Samuel Pfeiffer Poindexter Special Needs Trust.

>

> Most Sincerely,

>

> Lisa

With thanks to all the members of this board who donate to its ongoing maintenance, the management of this board, on behalf of all of our members, is making a donation to this fund. Godspeed, Dex.

Archived