IGNORED

Avon Tires (or best sport touring tires for RT

Brad Moores

Brad Moores

Has anyone tried the relatively new Avon 3D Tires. If not what are the recommendations for replacement tires. I have gotten 7,200 miles on stock tires on my 2011 R1200RT.

"Best" is in the mind of the owner. Michelin PR2s have an excellent reputation around here. I got of a PR2 rear, which is about double anything prior (1999 RT -- same rider, same roads since 2007). Anecdotally, the PR3s may not last as long, and cost more. As the saying goes, YMMV.

Brad Moores

From the lack of responses I'm wondering whether the Avon 3D Sports Tires have been tried widely yet. These are relatively new and as I understand what little I've read they are constructed with a harder compound in the middle of the tire and then two softer compounds as you get to the rims. Supposed to be long wearing and have very good grip in wet conditions. (as opposed to tires that require funny looking glasses.)

"Best" is in the mind of the owner. Michelin PR2s have an excellent reputation around here. I got of a PR2 rear, which is about double anything prior (1999 RT -- same rider, same roads since 2007). Anecdotally, the PR3s may not last as long, and cost more. As the saying goes, YMMV.

Correction: I meant to write "I got 15,000 miles from a PR2 rear tire...."

AFter the oem's wore out around 8500, I tried a set of Metzeler Z6 Interacts.

I'm not a white knuckle rider but do like to "ride with enthusiasm" on occasion.

Got about 12k on the Z6's.

Then after reading so much about the PR3's I tried a set. Have maybe 5k on them and, altho it's partly my fault probly for not noticing they were a few pounds low for awhile, they don't seem to be wearing as well or as uniformly as the Z6's.

I'm on PR3's right now and love em'.. can't give you a mileage ideas yet... but they handle well.

..and they have received great press... same idea as the Avon's, multi-compound technology.

sardineone

Sorry Brad, I can't give you an answer to your question as well. I used to use Avon Azarro's and really like them. Then they changed to the Storms and I didn't like them at all. I too am curious if the new Avon 3D's are any good. The Michelin's are quite good, but I would not mind a bit more triangulated profile for my use.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't realize it, but with only taking 1 short (400 mile) ride this spring, I've already put on over 8k on the PR3's I put on over the winter. Looks like a couple thou left, even with me goofing up and running esp the front several lbs low for several thou miles which I think hastened the wear on the sides of the center rib. Plenty left on the center rib on front, the back is a little thinner in the middle but plenty just away from center yet.

I do say they still handle well, no squirrely at all, even in the (very rare) rain we had lately, and last spring they were stable as a rock on cold pavement, of course not pushing it, either. I like the idea of the grooves and sipes in the center rather than a solid smooth center for wet and cold riding.

I just ordered another set a couple weeks early so I can block the beads apart long enuf for them to take a set so they seal easily on the rim. I'll watch the psi closer on this set and see how they do. I'll probly wear this set out by this fall,

about 2k miles a month and that's without any weekend trips.

Hi Brad. I'm curious about them as well. I think I'll let you be the guinea pig on this one. I got about 12k on the 1st 3 sets of Z8's. I've got PR3's on the bike now. They have 9k on them and they're showing their age. I'm thinking I'll get 12k out these as well. I'm pretty conservative as a rider and have OCD about pressure. I'm thinking I might try Conti Road Attack 2's or go back to Z8's. Let me know what you decide.

Archived