IGNORED

Front directional light access

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

Trying to access the a front directional light on my 2011 1200RT and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I can't figure out the instructions in the owners manual. Does the mirror have to be removed?

Yes -- insert the long end of the L-shaped Torx wrench in the original "tool kit" up in the hole at the bottom of the mirror housing. With a bit of moving the wrench and/or the mirror around, the wrench will engage the clamp screw at the bottom of the mirror backing plate. Loosen the screw (doesn't have to be removed). Gently pry the mirror glass off its circular mounting ring. That gets you access to the back of the turn signal/mirror housing.

Installation is the reverse -- snap the mirror backing plate onto its circular mounting ring and tighten the clamp screw.

Steve Kolenda

mneblett,

Sorry to say but your instructions are incorrect. After studying it again, there is a hole in the upper inside corner behind the mirror (access by pressing on the lower outside corner of the mirror) which gives access to a screw, remove the screw and you have the part of the fairing in your hand that houses the light bulb. Very simple once you know how it's done. Removing the glass part of the mirror will not give you access to the bulb.

Actooly, they are partly wrong -- the mirror removal screw reached from the bottom is a T25, not a T30. :D

You are correct about coming in over the top of the mirror corner to get to the wing screw -- I found it a bit "iffy" for controlling the screw to get it back in, so I use the remove-the-mirror approach to have a clear shot at removing/reinstalling the wing screw.

Glad the over-the-mirror approach worked for you!

Archived