IGNORED

fixing fairing mount/bracket

JPF

Anybody have experience trying to repair a bent fairing mount/fairing bracket (bmw calls it a "holder" part # 46637653979)? mine is bent from slow speed front end collision. my headlight, upper center fairing (which surrounds headlight) and the bracket that connect said fairing to bike are all kaput. i have been told that it is near impossible to straiten out or fix if bent, even with a jig and proper tools. its a pricey little number ($354 at my dealer) and would love to salvage it. i haven't been able to find a used one (or upper center fairing in white) as most bikes that are being parted out have front end damage.

any thoughts? i've tried contacting bimmerboneyard to no avail. my bike is a 2002 R1150RT.

Thanks!

Jeff dopeslap.gif

The needed alignment is pretty specific. You could spend some time pulling and twisting. Others have done it with varying success. It helps if you have a "buddy" RT you can measure off of. Otherwise replacing it is really the best option.

Thanks for the link Derek. Looks like great place, but when I tried to submit request on website, it says they no longer export to the US or Canada due to insurance reasons.

Oh well.

Jeff

I've tried contacting bimmerboneyard to no avail. my bike is a 2002 R1150RT.

Does that mean that you were unable to find/contact them or you contacted them and they didn't have a salvaged bracket in stock? confused.gif I've emailed him for quite a few orders and gotten a very quick response.

BTW, The site URL is: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/ (Oh, and . . . Bimmers are BMW cars! wink.gif )

Just talked to him. Nice guy. They don't have the bracket. He said I might have to wait a year until one was available. Also didn't have the fairing. But I will definately try him in the future should I need something else.

Jeff

Eckhard Grohe

I tried straightening mine after a drop bent it slightly. No luck. Bought a new one from Hammersly. Got 20% off the list.

Too bad I didn't realize at the time I bent it, that I needed a new, as I did it on the Blue Ridge Parkway just next door to them. Took off the plastic when I got home and couldn't get it back on without force. I figured that the vibration and the strain would ruin the plastic so I sprung for a new one......

Archived