IGNORED

mac help

taters

anyone out there use micromats' tech tool pro 6? i am wondering if i should buy it, $99. my mac is getting slower and slower . any input is appreciated thanks

Peter Parts

Special software shouldn't be necessary. Done all your updates? Restarted a few times? What machine? What OS?

Ben

BMW since 1967, Apple since 1979, Mac since 1984... never gave a thought to other machines.

Yup. I bought it about3 years ago. I think it's

10.4 I'm typing this on my celll. I rebooted it once

I'll try it again thanks

In my opinion, TechTool Pro is a mediocre tool. It used to be good, but hasn't kept up with the competition. It's also more oriented towards hardware testing than regular maintenance. If you had Applecare on the Mac, you should already have a copy of it, anyway!

MainMenu Pro http://mainmenuapp.com/index.php (about $19) does a bunch of maintenance tasks that help clean up the OS and has some drive utilities. (It runs maintenance tasks, clears logs/caches, repairs disk permissions, and that sort of thing.)

The reality is this - It doesn't do anything you couldn't do for free on your own if you were moderately tech-savvy, but it puts the tools all in one easy to use place. Many of the tasks that it has scripted are things that the OS generally will do automatically, unless turned off. But again, MMP makes it quick and easy to manually get the cleanup done.

For a quick rundown of several mainstream maintenance tools, see this article:

http://www.oldermacs.com/blog/full/the_best_mac_os_x_maintenance_tools

FWIW - for software/OS maintenance, I use MainMenu Pro for most tasks, and dig into other utilities if I'm having a particular issue. The nominal cost was worth it, just for the convenience factor. I use Disk Warrior and/or Drive Genius if I suspect a hardware issue. (Sometimes one works where the other fails.)

Good luck!

Bill_Walker

I've had good luck with TechTool Pro for hard drive issues (e.g., fixing broken data structures, de-fragmenting). I'm also a fan of Cocktail for software maintenance (mainly cleaning out all the cache files). You can get a good start with Apple's Disk Utility. In the "First Aid" section, you can fix file permissions that sometimes get corrupted, and you can check the data structures on your system disk, although you can't repair them without booting from another disk.

anyone out there use micromats' tech tool pro 6? i am wondering if i should buy it, $99. my mac is getting slower and slower . any input is appreciated thanks

How much free space is left on the drive? If you are over 80%, it's time to think about getting a bigger drive (pretty cheap these days).

Archived