IGNORED

R 1200 RT Transmission Popping out of gear and more!

gjnockie

With only 455 mi. on my red RT, in the last 50 miles I have experienced a 5th to 4th gear change while riding at 55 mph without doing anything, quite unnerving! The bike has also jumped out of gear twice, usually the higher gears, 4th to 6th. Anybody have any ideas or similar experience?? I'am kind of scared to drive this thing on the highway now, what if it does it at 75mph!

Gjnockie

Boynton Beach, FL

2005 R 1200RT

I've accidentally tapped my 05 RT into a lower gear a couple times. Like you I'm still in the first 600 miles and I'm still getting used to the bike. With my big clunky boots and the right RPMs I can knock her down a gear if I'm not careful. I've got a bad habit of resting my foot on the shifter from my Suzuki whose gear level basically doesn't move without the clutch pulled.

Is the scary gear change always down? Are you sure its not you? smirk.gif

Although it is possible to experience an incomplete shift, and have the gearbox jump out of gear (even into the adjacent gear), it is more likely indicative of a major problem. A bent shift fork is the most likely culprit.

The advice of not riding the bike until it is checked by the dealer is well offered.

Paul in CA

'05 R1200RT

'98 XR400R

Other vintage

They will replace the gearbox. Well they did with mine but it's not a problem say BMW, try riding the thing thing on the way out of a corner and it jumps out of gear !!! The new box has been fine in the last 2000 miles. I know of at least 5 RT's with new gearboxs.

Thank you all for the interesting comments.

I did a little experiment and drove the bike in 6th gear at about 70 yesterday and no problems.

I am wondering if possibly the shift linkage is slightly out of adjustment, I can't believe the tranny is bad because the bike for the most part shifts really well.

I know the trans is made by Getrag, and can't imagine that there could be so many defective gearboxes out there, Getrag makes really fine transmissions, usually overbuilt.

I have been riding a long time over 30 years and really know my way around a bike. I have been very careful during break-in, have not missed any gears or ground any gears etc.

My bike was built in May 05, I would like to see some comments as to when anybody else’s bike was built who has experienced trans problems.

Gjnockie

2005 R 1200RT

For what its worth Bike magazine (a UK publication)is reporting the same problem with their long term 12RT. They also claim that several other UK riders have reported the same issues with the 12RT transmission.

Archived