IGNORED

Air Flow Needed!!!

JIM'SK

Hi all, i"ve been a lurker for a long time. Saturday I traded my GS for a new 2012 RT...wow, I love this bike, however on a hot day it is sweltering behind all that great wind protection, even with the shield all the way down. Is there a different shield design that can be used in the summer to allow a little more air to flow to the rider? I'm thinking two shields, the current one and a different one for the middle summer months - June through August.

Any suggestions?

Jim

Canton, OH

On my R1100RT I used to take the windshield off in hot weather. The air flow worked much better with the vented jackets I used at that time.

After purchasing a mesh jacket I no longer bother to remove the shield during the summer.

Thats the #1 reason I bought a GS to replace my RT. That lack of airflow from the chest down used to kill me from 85 degrees and up.

markgoodrich

I tried the CalSci shield, the one with the hole in it...no difference. Baker Air Wings might help. They were useful on my ex-GL1800, which makes the RT seem air conditioned by comparison. I haven't ever tried them on an RT, but some folks do use them. I don't think a different shield is going to make a difference, though.

Does Baker make Air Wings for the 2010-2012 RT? I didn't see anything on their website mentioning the later model RTs.

Thanks all, I did find a Cee Baily "Sport Shield" which is smaller than the stocker and is advertised to revieve just the hot condition I described. I favor Ztechnik shields with the hard coated polycarbonate material (what I had on the GS), but need to do more research to figure out if theirs would allow more airflow.

Research continues...

Jim

Canton, OH

A Veskimo costs about 50 - 60% more than many screens but will keep you nice and comfy at any temp...Like A/C for the bike, almost, though a bit inconvenient for those short runs. I use mine any time the run is over an hour and temp at 90 or over.

Something for those doing the run to Sedalia to think about..

Keep in mind that if it gets hot enough you will want some wind protection and that includes a windshield. Last summer I rode through central Texas heat as high as 113. The heat index must have been in the 120's. One of the few times that I closed the face shield of my helmet. The hot air hitting my face felt like a hair dryer set on high heat.

tsp

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Guest Kakugo

Hi Jim. I have had similar issues. I am partly trying to address them through the use of specific clothing (see my recent post in the mix section).

I also have a certain success using racing helmets instead of the quieter touring things. I have both an OGK Kabuto FF5V and an Arai Corsair and they are a huge step forward from "normal" touring helmets. However last Summer I borrowed my brother's RX7GP (we have the same size) and I was literally astounded by the quantity of air flowing through with all vents open, even behind the RT windscreen.

Needless to say I know which helmet I will be buying next.

Clothing might be the answer. My buddy bought and swears by the Klim Traverse jacket because the pit zippers act as air scoops and vent out the back...flow through ventilation if you will. That might be far enough in the air stream to catch some ventilation instead of hoping to catch it on my chest in a mesh jacket design.

I like Arai helments except for the faceshield mounting system. Might be worth another look.

Thanks for the input!

Jim

Canton, OH

There is a windshield vent that was (is?) used on Goldwings. It's got slats that you can open and close to control air flow. I used to see it discussed on the st-owners.com (ST1300 owners) and I seem to remember the vent being offered as an option by Clearview or one of the other shiled makers. Maybe it's Honda part. But you'd have to cut a big hole in your windshield to install it, so you'd want to be sure it's what you need.

pete

I use the Cee Bailey Sport shield with good results in our Phoenix weather.

110+ degrees is hot wherever you encounter it.

Get a Roadster. It lacks the bulky fairing. COOL !

RT is nicer in winter.

Well vented helmet,ear plugs,& MESH gloves,jacket,pants,& boots.

Carry & drink fluids. YMMV

Invest in a Camelbak pack. You can wear it as a backpack or strap it to the bike. Either way, it gives an easy method to stay properly hydrated. Very, very important as dehydration is a bit like hypothermia: it comes on slowly, and before you know it you are in deep trouble, and probably crashed. Push the fluids in heat.

Dont forget to wear proper clothing: wicking underwear like Underarmor, LD Comfort or equivalent.

Aside from riding a bike with less protection, the only thing that I have found that really works is evaporative cooling. With a mesh jacket plus a wicking T-shirt help the core, and a bandana filled with crushed ice, my RT is reasonably comfortable up to 90°. Chilled blood going to the brain feels so good. Yes, the ice melts, but stopping every 60 minutes to rehydrate and cool down isn't such a bad idea in hot weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Before spending a bunch of $ on sitting out in the breeze its wise to understand the inherent limits of trying to use moving air to stay cool on a bike. Bottom line is that at temps over about 93 degrees you will gain body heat doing that and the only ways to deal with it are protection, evap cooling or a cooling vest like the Veskimo. The rest is stayig hydrated and limiting exposure.

The best intro reference on the subject of surviving long rides in temps where you can gain body heat is the article on the IBA website- should be required reading especially for folks heading to Sedalia from any distance who aren't already well versed in hot weather riding.

What one ought to do to stay comfortable is different in warm conditions (80 to a bit over 90 degrees) and hot conditions (93-110 or more). And sweating is the least of the issues from heat. The loss of mental sharpness that is inevitable with long heat exposure is insidiously hazardous and well known to track instructors who constantly deal with the potential for student brain fade on hot afternoons.

Archived