IGNORED

steering geometry

johnlt

This is not related to any "particular bike" so I think it belongs here. I've tried before but never got a good response so I'm trying again. I understand motorcycloe trail, steering angle, caster, etc. but I am particularly interested in which parameter impacts performance/stability in sand. Good sand bikes "go where you point them". What makes them do that? I have a DR200 which just goes straight through sand. It is wonderful!!! My KTM is almost as good. But now I'm riding a DRZ and it wonders all over the place. My GS wonders a lot also. What part of the geometry do I need to change to make it go straight through the sand and if I do, what else is impacted?

Evening johnlt

Obviously tire type & design is a BIG factor, followed by front tire air pressure for the front end weight on the tire, rake & trail can be a big player also. Obviously entry speed & cornering speed has an influence.

Sometimes small things can make a big difference like handle bar placement & rider position on the foot pegs. I had a Honda 450 that would tend to push pretty bad in the sugar sand that I moved the foot pegs down 1" & back 1.5" & that changed that bike's cornering in the sand significantly.

To start--If one of your bikes is better than the others in the sand put the same front tire that’s on the good bike on the other bikes.

Then get the bike's on a scale & get the front end weight to match the good bike (good luck with this one).

See where your handlebar & foot peg positions are between all the bikes compared to the good bike. (maybe something to be gained here)

Even springing can chance things if the front spring is too soft. I haven't had a DRZ in a while now but when I did, after installing aftermarket front & rear springs matching my weight, that helped it a lot. (like a big lot).

Archived