IGNORED

How much oil loss is too much?

Tuckerman

I bought my first BMW a week ago after a few other Japanese brands. I had heard that they may burn some oil while the engine is breaking in. I've kept the rpm's below each interval as the mileage climbed and just touched the high mark briefly at each one. Including touching the redline at 450 miles. I've been varying the speed and rpm's and doing the engine breaking thoughout. At 250 miles I was down to 1/2 the sight glass, and now at 460, the sight glass is empty. Is this a normal amount to burn? I am planning on taking my new RT from Pennsylvania out through Montana at the end of the month. Any thoughts? I'm loving this bike, just a bit concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Morning Tuckerman

The black soot on the rear of muffler is kind of normal.

Your oil consumption is enough to watch closely but not out of line with some BMW boxers until fully broken in.

It's a bit difficult to get a consistent oil level reading on the BMW boxer so make sure you look at it at a few different times to be sure you are really that low.

It should get better as you get miles on the engine (most do).

My suggestion for you is to talk to your dealer about your oil consumption & see what they have to say.

Hi Tuckerman. Mine did something similar when I first got it. I think I used a quart the first two thousand miles. I talked to the dealer and he said not to worry. He said to keep an eye on it and keep it filled, dino oil only, and enjoy it. He did say that if it used more than a quart in less than one thousand miles to bring it in. It doesn't seem to be using hardly any oil anymore. Good luck.

If your bie is breaking in normally the rate of oil use will soon begin to diminsh but it may not stop totally for many thousands of miles.

Do not baby the thing- the first miles matter the most in getting rings seated. But don't deliberately abuse it either..

IIRC correctly mine used the better part of qt in the first 3000 miles- most of it in the first 2000 miles. Now no oil consumption. Has 40K now but consumtpion stopped by 6K for me. But some report it takes 2 or 3X that mileage.

FWIW, I prefer to check oil levels after the bike has been on the centerstand overnight. The cooler can hang oil so readings after shutdown can be misleading and lead to overfills...(Yes I know the prescribed drill and what the manual says but as a practical matter, overnight is sinplest)

Thanks for the replies. I checked it again this morning and still nothing in the glass. On the side stand it will come up to about a 1/4 glass. I'm adding in 3 oz increments and I'm up to 12 oz with a 1/3 of the sight glass showing oil while on the center stand. I'm going to keep an eye on her and she goes in for the 600 mile service on Monday. I'm guessing that it lost about a pint during the first 450 miles.

And that 16 oz brought it back to half glass. I believe I started with a full and going to leave it as is. Don't want to overfill.

Mine (2011 R1200RT) used about a pint in the first 6K which I added at 4 or 5K. Haven't had to add any since; uses about a 1/4 sight glass at most between 6K changes. And, my dealer used AMSOIL synthetic beginning at the 600 mile check. 13 months old with 24K miles! Love the bike!

Put about 140 on today and stopped by a dealer (not where I bought). He told me I'm at "The high-side of normal" and not to fret. Just keep an eye on it and run it. Looks like I'll do my best to do that and see what they say at my 600 on Monday.

I think any oil usage is wrong, immoral and unacceptable. And thank my RT that it obliges and doesn't use any.

I have been spoiled by Honda cars and motorcycles.

dc

Hi all do we check the oil after 5min after a good ride like the book said to are after the bike has set all night if we wait to check in morning the oil from the oil cooler is low and then we check oil it is full then we start the bike oil fills the cooler and now the oil pan is low so maybe that is how come the factory said wait 5min then check just asking all what you think thanks mike

On an oil-change, the specified quantity of oil just covers the sight-glass, with the oil-cooler full the oil level is just about half-way up.

These bikes have a large sump - to give the oil more mass to handle the exhaust port cooling task. Put simply, do not get too hung up on the oil level, see oil - go ride.

Andy

Hi all do we check the oil after 5min after a good ride like the book said to are after the bike has set all night if we wait to check in morning the oil from the oil cooler is low and then we check oil it is full then we start the bike oil fills the cooler and now the oil pan is low so maybe that is how come the factory said wait 5min then check just asking all what you think thanks mike

Morning n9owk66

Technically & the CORRECT way is to do it like your riders manual says. BMW engineering has collected a lot of data across many test engines/test motorcycles to specify an approved way to check your engine oil level.

If you want to differ from the riders manual recommendation you can. Just be aware that probably won't show the TRUE engine oil level as the BMW engineers have specified it.

If you let your bike sit all night that shows the oil level at a bit more oil (higher level) due to more drain back than the manual specifies. Probably not a lot but not the same level as the manual specified.

If you want to differ from the riders manual method the time to do that is after a good engine oil & filter change. On a hot engine & level surface, put the bike on the center stand --drain your oil, remove your filter, then allow the oil to drain all night. Now install a new filter & replace the drain plug.

Then fill the engine with the service manual recommended amount measured with a decent fluid measure.

Now that you have the correct amount of oil in the engine then ride it a bit then check the oil level using the riders manual recommended way or any other way you might choose. Use that to compare the oil level differences using the different checking procedures. I think you will find the all night park (cold) check a bit higher than the riders manual way.

I think any oil usage is wrong, immoral and unacceptable. And thank my RT that it obliges and doesn't use any.

I have been spoiled by Honda cars and motorcycles.

dc

Uh, I think your BMW "uses" oil, right?

;)

My BMW never consumes oil.

But it is a flying brick.

Since leaving oilheads in '05 I've had to work hard at not doing the oil dance.

Old habits...

:grin:

Archived