IGNORED

Fuel Strip Failure on 2010 or coincidence?

Runnor

Hi Dirtrider, I need some advice,

Got a 2010 RT, bought used with 15 k miles. Runs great. Just Installed an Autocom, GPS, and Zumo, so I had most of the Tupperware off. Just put it all back on today to take the bilke for a test ride and noticed my fuel gauge icon blinking, yellow triangle warning lit up, and no fuel showing ( plenty in the tank though). Now the fuel gauge was working when I took the plastic off, AND this bike has already had it's fuel strip replaced about a year ago (I've had this bike since October last year) I believe under warranty at the dealer.

So, here's my question. Is it possible I accidentally disconnected something on the left hand side when I was routing wires and remounting the plastic? is it more likey this second fuel strip just failed? That would be quite a coincidence, but maybe so. Where should I start looking for the problem? I can get the plastic off pretty easy now. Would the bike still be under warranty if a new fuel strip is the answer?

Thanks for your ideas.

John

1 - The entire bike should still be under warranty since it's a 2010.

2 - Replacement parts have a 2 year warranty if installed by a dealer but I don't know if it's transferrable.

3 - Probably another bad fuel strip.

But isn't it a great bike otherwise!?!? :)

tsp

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Morning John

Make sure you have the gauge wire harness FULLY plugged in (see picture). If it is then you probably have a failed fuel strip (again).

1200pump.jpg

Firenailer

Hi everyone,

I picked up a 2012 RT back in November and was wondering if BMW had switched back to the fuel float system on these models as I seem to recall reading, or do I still have the strip?

Thanks

Bob.. you should have the float system. If I'm not mistaken it was late 2010 production when BMW switched over to float. (around October..)

(Of course I have an early production 2010 ;(

Thanks for the help dirt rider. The picture is a great help. I'll check it out this weekend when I'm back in town and post again. BTW, compared to taking the plastic off my 2004 KRS, this was a breeze.

John

Tsp, it is a great bike otherwise. I may have to check into the replacement part warranty if my connector D R pointed me to is plugged in properly.

John

• 3 weeks later...

D.R.

Well I finally had time to take the left side plastic off just enough to see the top of the fuel tank and check the connections. Dang it! Everything looked fine. I pulled and tugged and unplugged the connector and reinserted it and still my display shows the yellow triangle and in the lower left corner the word SERVICE is illuminated. Is this the typical indication when the fuel strip is faulted? Oh and the gas tank icon is blinking.

It just seems too coincidental that this would fail at the same time that I have the bike part and am installing some electronics. Oh well.

Thanks for the good picture. It made a very short job of checking it out. Any other thoughts?

John

If I'm not mistaken it was late 2010 production when BMW switched over to float. (around October..)

(Of course I have an early production 2010 ;(

Production in October 2010 would definitely be a 2011 model year bike.

BMW typically updates to the next model year in the July-September timeframe -- with the introduction of the float in September 2010 (per the parts fiche), I doubt there are any 2010's with the float.

I asked this question in another thread but got no responses...so I'll ask it here.

Does anyone know for certain that the fuel strip was replaced with a float system (e.g., late 2010 models)? When I say, know for certain, I mean has anyone actually seen a float system on a late 2010, or 2011, or 2012?

I know the microfiches show a float on 2011 & 2012. However, I spoke with my technician when I brought my 2010 in for it's 18K checkup. He indicated that, yes, the parts manuals indicate a picture of a float system but fuel strips are used on the camheads (2010 through 2012).

I live in Houston. My technician works on a lot of BMWs and is considered one of the best. He said, "...I know what the pictures show but I also know what I've seen."

Archived