IGNORED

Best method for cleaning ABS sensor?

scottnew

Been busy lately and finally about to get back on my 2000 r1100rt project.. Update: bike runs great these days and I'm getting away from the motor work and into brakes.. I too have the ABS lights flashing and plan to start working on them again.. System has been bled, good battery, ect.. Just looking for some tips on removing and cleaning the sensor.. Figure I'm better off asking now before I have an oops ;-)

Afternoon Scott

Kind of depends on what's on or sticking to the sensor. Metal particles (if any) should be pulled off by hand or blown of with low pressure compressed air.

Most road gunk, tar, brake dust, etc will come off using WD-40.

Watch out for falling shims. First time taking a sensor off I didn't realize the shims weren't a bonded stack but were loose (at least mine were). And once had ABS flashing lights after doing brakes. Turned out the sensor was too close. I thought the amount of shims coming off would be good going on. They were just not quite enough allowing the sensor to seat too close, a bit of foil solved it.

thanks for thhe tips fellas :) Just a random question?? I take it the sensor is magnetized/ hence metal particles could be stuck to it? Is it normal or bad to have such particles when inspecting and cleaning the sensor?

Hi Scott.

Don't know if your '00 is the same as my '96, but with a 12v LED and some wire leads, I'm able to pull the trouble codes from my ABS system.

Morning Scott

Not really magnetized as a whole just a little magnetized center pin with a coil of wire wrapped around that pin. Just enough magnetism in the center to hold small iron particles or metallic type dust.

As far as being normal or bad to have metallic particles stuck to it? The normal part depends on where you ride or where the sensor is mounted. If riding in an area with lots or iron dust in the air then normal. Some of the later BMW's actually mount the rear sensor through the side of the final drive cover reading off the ring gear & on those there is usually a fine array of metallic sludge on the sensor when removing the sensor (they still work fine).

As far as being bad? Only if the build up is so heavy that it effects the sensor's output. If just small particles then not much interference.

Thanks Dirtrider.. That clears up some of my curiosity :) I tend to work with things better when I fully understand what it is I'm working with.. Had I gone into pull/clean the sensor and found metal particles I would have been concerned.. Overthinking things maybe- but I just can't help myself sometimes.. Plus, its hard to work on something if you don't fully understand just what it is you're working with-- i.e. blindfolded :)

Archived