IGNORED

Talk me out of it...

BULLman

Saw a show where they transplanted a V8 into a Mazda Miata.

They also bought a body kit that transformed the car's looks, too.

There is a company that sells the kit. Replace shocks, brakes, etc;

I don't gave the car.. I don't have kit nor the V8...

I don't have the space or the skills to do the job...

It's TOTALLY impractical...

...but, do I keep looking for cheap Miatas???

Help, talk me out if this cheap Cobra wannabe :dopeslap:

Saw a show where they transplanted a V8 into a Mazda Miata.

They also bought a body kit that transformed the car's looks, too.

There is a company that sells the kit. Replace shocks, brakes, etc;

I don't have the space or the skills to do the job...

It's TOTALLY impractical...

...but, do I keep looking for cheap Miatas???

I saw the show too! ---Stacey "Gearz" on speed channel I think ---

I don't have the room or the cash but the know how I know. It would be a real pain to do in an everyday garage w/o a lift and air tools.

Is it totally impractical? I loved tha thing!! I bet it would run circles around other heavier cars!

KEEP LOOKIN!

Personally, I've got it real bad for one of these:

CATERHAM.jpg

Probably not in this lifetime, but a guy can dream....

Have I told you about my 1972 Chevelle.

I bought it in 2002 with a plan.

It became road worthy last month.

It is back in the shop this week cause it left me stranded.

I coulda bought a new Corvette for what I have in it.

:dopeslap:

I coulda bought a new Corvette for what I have in it.

:dopeslap:

...but, it still will be a vette.. The Chevelle is waaaay cooler :rofl:

Its like motorcycles... The only time I didn't have a balance on my CC is the providing time I didn't own a bike!

Coolness trumps Logic.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

If you want to work on a car.....just get the real thing. A mid/late '60s Lotus Elan (non-+2), upon which the Miata is a copy.

One with a twin cam Weber head will already run around other cars. Plus, the frames never rust since they're English and leak oil to protect the frame and chassis. Used to watch one run around all the TransAm cars in SCCA amateur action at Sear Point.

Unusually well kept example

Shiny Side Up

My advice??

Buy a horse - plenty of up-keep ($$$) with fencing,feed and vet bills.

Plus you'll have lots of poop to keep ya' busy. Don't ride it - just keep it around for aggravation...

Don't need any tools either. It's a PLUS all the way!

moshe_levy

I dunno. A big honkin' V8 just isn't really a Miata's character. What track day doesn't have a whole slew of modified Miatas with turbos and all the rest that likely put V8 (or damn near it) HP to the rear wheel without the enormous surgery of an engine transplant?

-MKL

Bill_Walker

I think they went out of business, but there was a company in San Diego county that had a pretty good business doing these type of conversions. Google "Monster Miata"

chrisolson

Check out Flyin Miata.

I was at their shop a while back and they had 2 V8 cars being built. Nice folks, top quality work. I own a turbo miata and I'd own a V8 one in a heartbeat! It is that much faster.

Or if you like the Lotus 7 look, they also sell the Westfield kit.

RonStewart

I have seen a bug-eyed Sprite with a Chevy engine. It made me weep (and not in any kind of good way).

I have seen a bug-eyed Sprite with a Chevy engine. It made me weep (and not in any kind of good way).

When I ran autocross back in the early eighties, there was a guy in our club that had an SCCA Solo 1 Bugeye Sprite with an aluminum block Buick 265 V8 that was built to the hilt. Sounded awesome, & was scary fast. That is, when it ran. It was so volatile, something broke every time he brought it out.

From a 4x4 site I used to frequent when I was heavy into wheeling.

Miata 327 Transplant

BTW, you could get an MGB and drop a Rover V8 or Buick 215 (essentially the same engine) into it much easier.

What kind of car us that?

A Caterham-7 - a development of the Lotus Seven.

Caterham Sevens are sold in the USA Caterham USA

Andy

Beat me to it!

Yes, they're kits manufactured by Caterham, assembled at their final destination with a variety of powerplants. Their extremely low weight (curb weights start at a little more than 1,100 lbs.), combined with four-cylinder engines generally putting at 140-200 hp, produce a very quick and agile little car.

There are other kits based on the Lotus 7 that incorporate supercharged V6's and V8s, but I think that Caterham--the true heir to the Lotus 7 design--produces a more honest and elegant car. And one that hauls ass; there are few supercars that can keep up with one on a road course.

The Morgans are very cool, but they're far more costly than what I could afford.

The Morgans are very cool, but they're far more costly than what I could afford.

Probably can't afford the V8, much less the Miata either :dopeslap:

===

Putting a turbo on a Miata... hmmmmmmmmm (V8 is waaaaaaay cooler)

:lurk:

I saw the show too! ---Stacey "Gearz" on speed channel I think ---

I don't have the room or the cash but the know how I know. It would be a real pain to do in an everyday garage w/o a lift and air tools.

Is it totally impractical? I loved tha thing!! I bet it would run circles around other heavier cars!

KEEP LOOKIN!

Who do I know who has a garage?????? Bill in JAX has a garage!!!!

:thumbsup: Yes, blasphemy!

Just me, but the fun of driving a small two seater was in having a small engine and having to work at it. My 1500 Triumph Spitfire was more fun to drive than any muscle car.

-----

I agree with you on that one, Quinn.

That was always the fun of it to me, also. The small British sports cars. But doing all the work myself, or with friends.

I never understood why anyone would want to do any of that and just take the car to someone else's shop for everything.

dc

Just me, but the fun of driving a small two seater was in having a small engine and having to work at it. My 1500 Triumph Spitfire was more fun to drive than any muscle car.

-----

I dunno, when I had both of my MGB's, and yes they were fun with the 1800, I certainly could have had more fun with a Rover V8 or Buick 215.

chrisolson
Just me, but the fun of driving a small two seater was in having a small engine and having to work at it. My 1500 Triumph Spitfire was more fun to drive than any muscle car. -----

I dunno, when I had both of my MGB's, and yes they were fun with the 1800, I certainly could have had more fun with a Rover V8 or Buick 215.

I'd have to agree. Having run a full season of track days in my stock Miata, and then another full season with a turbo upgrade, its waaaaaaay more fun with the turbo.

The V8 Miata from the Flyin Miata guys is a well engineered complete powertrain package including trans and rear end. The suspension / brakes etc are also completely upgraged appropriately so contrary to popular opinion, its not just a straight line champ. It handles as well as the turbo car ... so who wouldn't want more HP and torque? :smile:

It handles as well as the turbo car ... so who wouldn't want more HP and torque? :smile:

The Prius driver. :grin:

chrisolson
It handles as well as the turbo car ... so who wouldn't want more HP and torque? :smile:

The Prius driver. :grin:

Haven't seen one of them on the track :rofl:

Archived