IGNORED

Trouble shifting out of neutral

Canuck

Does anyone else having trouble shifting from neutral to first? About 1/2 of the time I have to release the clutch and pull it in again in order to get into first.

George

Mine was like that. After first transmission oil change,it is shifting fine. Since my bike is under warranty,I just used the BMW transmission oil.

Paul Mihalka

Standard occurrence. With this clutch and gearbox, when you pull in the clutch and hold it, everything stops turning. If the gears ("dogs") are not lined up, it won't shift. Most common standard procedure is with the clutch pulled in keep soft pressure on the shift lever toward first and slowly release the clutch. It will click in.

PS Welcome in this group!

I learned this very same lesson being new to BMW. If you're in N and have clutch all the way to grip, it won't go into gear. Let clutch out about halfway.

Also if you want to start bike in first gear you have to pull clutch all the way to grip. It won't start with clutch half pulled.

You will get used to this and if you preload the shifter with your foot it will shift "as soon as you pull" the clutch lever.

Thanks guys. Lots of knowledge here.

That there is. And a willingness to share it! :thumbsup:

Archived