IGNORED

2011 R1200RT Dead upon start?

Fletch88

For the past 2 days after riding my bike for approx. 1 hr. in 90+ degree heat, it will not start upon remounting the bike. Everything on the dash is on the fuel level and oil temp. Did i mention the bike has 7k miles on it? Both times I repeatedly turned ignition on and off, put bike in gear then neutral with same results. Finally after 10-15 min. it just suddenly starts. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and could it be temp induced? Both times it sat for 1-2 hrs before remounting to ride, which leads me to beleive its not heat related and strictly an electrical glitch????

Evening Fletch88

You didn't say of it cranks & doesn't start or if it just won't crank over.

If it won't crank over have your dealer see if anything shows as far as stored failure code goes.

Very possibly you have a kill/start switch acting up. One of the guys in my riding area just had that switch fail on his 2011RT. Dealer says they have seen a few others with the same failure.

Morning Fletch88

Difficult to tell much over the internet but I would personally start at the kill switch or side stand.

A couple of weeks ago my eight month old RT wouldn't start. It did turn over but wouldn't catch. I put a tester on it and was getting just over 12v at the battery. What voltage does your battery show?

My bike is ridden a good distance every day so charging shouldn't have been an issue. The battery was replaced under warranty. A healthy RT battery should be showing well over 13v for the electronics to function as needed.

Kill switch issues have been rearing up on K1600's as well. Friend with a fairly new K1600 was left stranded 90 miles from home by a kill switch... He was NOT happy, especially after 122K on A GoldWing w/o failure, and a Harley before that.... He's PISSED.

Guest Kakugo

My brother had exactly the same problem on his GS. It was the usual BMW dud battery (replaced under warranty... with another BMW dud battery! :grin: ).

Kill switch issues have been rearing up on K1600's as well. Friend with a fairly new K1600 was left stranded 90 miles from home by a kill switch... He was NOT happy, especially after 122K on A GoldWing w/o failure, and a Harley before that.... He's PISSED.

Despite what MSF says, kill switches are for emergencies only. Or, you can use it all the time and create your own.

Archived