IGNORED

Going tail in the air....

ltljohn

Since I can't ride for a few more months I have decided to do upgrades and maintenance on my '02 R1150 RT.

I have new speigler brake and clutch lines, Right side cam chain tensioner kit and I plan to pull the transmission and check/lube the splines. I did a search and got good info on how to go about doing the splines. My questions are...

When I pull the trans out and the splines are good do I need any type of alignment tool to put things back correctly? Would it be worth my time to pull/clean the throttle bodies and injectors?

Afternoon ltljohn

You don't "NEED" an alignment tool but it sure helps the ease in re-installing the trans smoothly.

If you don't unbolt the clutch assemble & allow the clutch disk to move it will just slide right back in without any alignment tool.

If you remove or move the clutch disk then you will need to use something to align it with the center of the crankshaft. Either using a very keen eye to center it, or use the clutch push rod wrapped in tape, or a proper alignment tool.

I have re-installed those 1150 6 speed transmissions using all of the above mentioned methods & while they will all work with a little wiggling & judgment, using the proper tool sure makes the job easier.

As far a removing the TB's to clean them that sure wouldn't be a bad idea as long as your are there but personally I think you should get the trans back in the engine running & everything working again before adding other tasks. If you do it all at once & the engine doesn’t start or run correctly you have no idea if it was something you did when plugging all the wiring & grounds back in or maybe something you did wrong with the TB's.

Just do the TB's as the last thing before putting the tupperware back on after you have verified the trans removal/re-install is good to go.

Afternoon ltljohn

As far a removing the TB's to clean them that sure wouldn't be a bad idea as long as your are there but personally I think you should get the trans back in the engine running & everything working again before adding other tasks. If you do it all at once & the engine doesn’t start or run correctly you have no idea if it was something you did when plugging all the wiring & grounds back in or maybe something you did wrong with the TB's.

Just do the TB's as the last thing before putting the tupperware back on after you have verified the trans removal/re-install is good to go.

An excellent piece of advice! Thank you.

Archived