IGNORED

R1200RT oil level question

Lawman

My new 05 has approx 400 miles on it..It had about 200 when I bought it from the dealer..The oil check window shows totally full of oil no matter how I check it...Hot, cold, immediately after a ride, five minutes after a ride.. (Yes I check it on the center stand) Seems like it is overfilled to me..What do you think? Should I let some out or just wait till the first service which will be at about 750 miles? Where is the drain plug? thx

I had the same concern, only I thought I had added too much oil, so drained some. I also didn't know where the drain plug was, but Joe West was kind enough to take some pictures to help me out. Glad to pass them along. BTW the plug takes a 9mm hex wrench, be careful not to loose the thin compression washer which likes to jump off the drain plug bolt when you remove it.

-Eric

Drainplug1.jpg

DrainPlug-2.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

A really easy and somewhat less messy way to get some oil out of the motor is to remove the oil filter, pour out the oil contained therein and replace the filter. You will get about 8 oz out this way or just about 1/2 the sight glass.

I wouldn't bother at this point as you are due for your 600 mile inspection real soon now, just insist that when they change the oil, they pour off 8 oz first and give it to you. Bring an 8 oz fuel bottle from Campmor or REI or one of those places with you. That way you have some "top up" oil to carry around and your oil level will start out right on at half way up the sight glass.

A lot of dealers use a barrel of oil to top things up rather than quart bottles. They just pump into a container. Trouble is, the method is not accurate unless the tech is very careful. See that the tech gets 4 - 1 qt bottles and pours off the 8 oz from one of them.

The top of the ight glass is what BMW calls "MAX." A little bit above that won't hurt anything. The reason for cecking on the centerstand is to make sure that bike is level (side-to-side). You could ask someone to help you by leaning the bike slightly toward its right side (not on the centerstand) while you watch the sight guage.

If a little air shows up with the bike leaned a few degrees it's not seriousy over-filled and I'd ride it like it is. If this doesn't satisfy you evaluation then the other suggestions on this thread about removing a little will work fine.

My RT was filled high the same way. I never saw an oil level in the glass. It didnt cause any kind of problem.

I took it in for the 600 checkup, its lower and I have to add oil now.

My RT was filled high the same way. I never saw an oil level in the glass. It didnt cause any kind of problem.

I took it in for the 600 checkup, its lower and I have to add oil now.

So was mine. I left it alone, and by the time I did the first oil change at about 500 miles, the level was down into the glass. I am using virtually no oil now after 6500 miles - maybe a tablespoon or 2 every thousand.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
I am using virtually no oil now after 6500 miles - maybe a tablespoon or 2 every thousand.
I hope my oil usage eventually levels off. I've only got 1200 miles on mine so far but based on current usage (after my 600 mile service), I'm on track for a quart every 1k miles. I followed the break-in procedure per the owner's manual and I haven't really started thrasing the bike yet.
I'm on track for a quart every 1k miles.
Well my RT went through nearly that much in the first 2k miles. I just did the 12k Inspection and it used perhaps 250cc in the last 6k. Your RT's oil consuption should go down dramatically as you roll up the miles.

I did a careful break in, too. My bike has used almost 8 quarts in 10,000 miles.

While there seem to be different opinions here on the board, the people I've spoken face-to-face with who have long boxer engine experience have all told me that these engines typically use lots of oil until (depending on who you ask) between 12 and 20,000 miles.

This is said to be because of the extremely hard cylinder coatings.

And you can see in the manual that this usage is not considered excessive by BMW.

Alrighty then, but this much oil burn still seems bizarre to me, even if it is "normal." Until buying this bike, I've never owned or operated any car, motorcycle, or airplane that used oil in this way. (Well, there was a certain 1960 Buick that was close, but it barely ran at all.)

If the bike wasn't otherwise so great, I'd be plain irritated about it.

This summer I'll be riding with some new Harleys. I hope I won't be having to stop and put oil in while we're on the road. If so, I know I'll hear all about it, because the new Harleys don't seem to burn "earl" at all.

... because the new Harleys don't seem to burn "earl" at all.
But if these are '06 Dynas, they'll need to have the primary bearing replaced every 15k miles. And this is a factory requirement - not a "recommendation". Compared to that, I'll put up with a little oil usage any day. thumbsup.gif

I was sorta able to restrain myself for the first 600 cool.gif I've slowed down riding lately, so only 3.5K on the bike. It's used maybe 200 to 300 cc's in the 2750 miles since the first service. It seems to be tapering off. I did go on a slightly frisky ride on the 26th, solely in the interest of break-in. These R12's sure run gooood!

all the best,

Mike

I've been using about a quart per 1k miles. The dealer said that is normal, but I've never used that much on previous oil heads I've owned. I'm hoping it will level off before long.

Archived