IGNORED

Bakup backrest questions

upflying

After about an hour of riding my RT-P, I get lower back pain. I'm thinking a backrest is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I am having some confusion about who makes Bakup brand backrests.

This site seems to have an identical product except the spelling is Backup and not Bakup.

http://www.driverbackrest.com/

Is this place the same as Bakup? If not, where is the website for Bakup?

When I google Bakup, I am led to CeeBaileys site.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bakup/bmwbakup.html

One other question, is the rider backrest for the R1100RT the same as the rider backrest for the R1100RT-P? The lack of model numbers makes it impossible to determine.

Bob...had a russell day long seat made with backrest...$$$$ useless as in the way it mounts on russell makes me vitually sit on my gas tank. So I don't use it. When I take trips I strap on a northface dry bag on the pillon and it works great as a back rest.. Further back. I'm just 6'0".

So..before you buy a backrest, you might try strapping a bag on and see if it helps. If it does find a backrest that ends up in about the same spot.

Bob...had a russell day long seat made with backrest...$$$$ useless as in the way it mounts on russell makes me vitually sit on my gas tank. So I don't use it. When I take trips I strap on a northface dry bag on the pillon and it works great as a back rest.. Further back. I'm just 6'0".

So..before you buy a backrest, you might try strapping a bag on and see if it helps. If it does find a backrest that ends up in about the same spot.

I found the same thing. I made a back rest from a BMW auto headrest. It provided some back relief, but have found that it forces me forward against the tank and puts my "stuff" to sleep. There's no room at all for movement. On my recent SW tour it got so bad I took the back rest off so I could stretch out a little and end up using my pack bag on the back of the seat for a back rest....much more comfortable.

Peter Parts

A backrest for the driver just doesn't compute, ergonomically speaking, if they use a classic active Brit-bike posture (which is also traditional for BMW). Might make sense for an upright or rocking-chair lean-back postures sometime seen on Harleys.

Unlike old backrest styles for passengers from Corbin, these higher and adjustable units look promising. Of course, a lot of their adjustment comes at the expense of solidity which is essential in a good backrest. The alternative is to make a nice solid backrest for your specific passenger yourself.

You'll find a write-up on a DIY backrest in signature below. It is written by a professional ergonomist. Last link on the page.

If you have aches and pains, fixing of the bike ergos or your fitness is called for.

Ben

early summer in Toronto; gotta do some warm-ups for my trip to Chicago next week.

As posted earlier by me, doesn't work on the 1150 too well. I do have one on my airhead R100RT and it works great. The main reason is it is much further back.

I have thought about modifying the one on the Russell 1150RT. It would involve modifying the l bracket that mounts into the seat. Instead of coming out and up, it would have to come out, make a 90 degree turn backwards for 5-6 inches, then up. That would be one ugly bracket and would infringe on the pillion, but might work.

Bob...if you want to try mine, I will ship it to you if you promise to ship it back..

Agree with others, they don't work. It forces you too far forward on the seat. Best bet is using exaggerated Master Yoda Riding Position. Arch that back, hips forward. It will develop muscles in the lower back that will reduce your discomfort.

I have an RT-P so throwing a bag onto the passenger seat won't work.

Back in the day, I owned a '91 HD FLH and I was in extreme comfort once I installed a back rest on it. Agree though the HD had a more laid back posture compared to the upright, forward lean posture on the BMW.

Thanks Skywagon for the offer, I'm sure your Russel day long won't fit my solo seat set up.

$400 for a backrest is big coin if it turns out it's not comfortable.

Can anyone answer my original questions about Bakup and Backup?

Bakup is made by CeeBaileys. I just got one from Biker Haven for $309.00 (new) for my 2004 RT. I added two small blocks to the back of the rest to get a better fitment on my back. Yes, I am closer to the tank but I get a good feeling back rest. Also, I wear Diamond Gusset jeans so the twins are always happy!!

Archived