IGNORED

Cam chain tensioner upgrade: DO IT!!

Bill Dennes

Wow! The left-side cam chain tensioner upgrade is THE best tinker I have ever done to my R1150RT. Yes, even better than all that CCP swapping.

Anybody who's interested in performance and improved rideability too should invest a hundred bucks and a couple hours of their time in this improvement. thumbsup.gif

Awwwww c'mon Bill! You're gonna have to do better than that, you tease, you! grin.gif

What does it do exactly?

How much does it cost exactly?

Where do you get the parts?

Where can we find it cheaper?

How do you quantify the improvement to justify the cost/time?

Did you take dyno readings both before and after at the same temperature and humidity levels?

Does it increase the mileage?

Does it reduce emissions?

Does it kill the germs that can cause Bad Breath?

What is your financial investment in/relationship to the company that markets this farkle?

etc., etc., etc. grin.gif

Awwwww c'mon Bill! You're gonna have to do better than that, you tease, you! grin.gif

What does it do exactly?

Did you take dyno readings both before and after at the same temperature and humidity levels?

What is your financial investment in/relationship to the company that markets this farkle?

etc., etc., etc. grin.gif

wow!!!

what jamie said thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the info Bill. Its on my list of stuff to do. I'd love to lose the warm engine "clack-clack-clack."

Attached is a previous thread about the upgrade.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...&PHPSESSID=

Ignore the reference to the www.advrider.com 90 page discussion (other than maybe for the pictures). If you're like me, you want to know the whole context of the discussion, but trust me, the advrider posts will drive you to distraction. Just look at the bmwsporttouring post that 2wheelterry references, and page down "Clint"'s post. He does a nice job of summarizing the change, which ends in:

And now the new (and cheaper) $200 flail damper.

11 31 7 688 629 . cylinder tensioner, left. . . $19.20

11 31 7 656 922 . piston left . . . . . . . . . $28.40

07 11 9 963 308 . gasket ring left A18X22-CU. . $ 0.50

And to answer the question "does it apply to my bike?". Yes. RS's and RT's, 1996-current, far as I can tell. And, only the left cam chain tensioner.

My "planned maintenance" list just got even longer. Some day I'm going to have a whole lot of wrenching fun. That day was supposed to be the next two weeks (Christmas period), but I lied to myself, and it's not happening 'til later.

Yes! I second that. Do it. I believe the '04s already have the upgraded tensioner. We've been running this one around for a few weeks over R1150R.Net

There was an old upgrade that cost about $200 smackaroos but the new improved version has only the 2 parts (built-in spring)and the washer. You may need a new TB o-ring.

Ahhh! I can now hear my fuel injectors.

Joe Frickin' Friday
What does it do exactly?

Some RT's have a noisy cam chain under certain operating conditions. This redesigned tensioner solves that problem.

About $50 for a collection of small round things. And about $16,000 for the noisy cam chain and accessories.

A store. Specifically, one that sells funny-looking motorcycles that say "BMW" on the side.

Chicago BMW can get it to you for 20% less than your local dealer. You can probably get it for free if you have a gun, a ski mask and a valid passport.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this one goes to 11. Alright, alright, FINE, I CAN'T quantify it! It just makes me FEEL good, alright?!?! Isn't that ENOUGH?!?!? HAH?!?!? (seriously, the bike runs quieter; less clatter from the cam chain. People will stop staring. Or at least they'll stare for the right reasons.)

Dyno readings? I can't read, so it wouldn't matter.

I get 937 miles per gallon now.

I sleep with the bike in my room, running all night. This used to leave me anxious and paranoid in the morning, but no more; the exhaust actually has a rejuvenating quality now. It's good for you.

No, but it bullies them and makes them feel bad about themselves.

Over the past seven years I've given them maybe $20,000 for no reason that most people would understand. They gave me a bike, some parts, and a couple of hamburgers. But they were good burgers.

Seems like a popular mod these days as the parts can be hard to come by unless you can find a stocking dealer (which is pretty unlikely.) I've been waiting since late October for my set from Chicago BMW, the plungers are apparently on backorder. Oh well, I've gone 70k on the original set am I'm sure the bike can wait a bit longer...

Yes! I second that. Do it. I believe the '04s already have the upgraded tensioner. We've been running this one around for a few weeks over R1150R.Net

There was an old upgrade that cost about $200 smackaroos but the new improved version has only the 2 parts (built-in spring)and the washer. You may need a new TB o-ring.

Ahhh! I can now hear my fuel injectors.

from advrider site the TB gasket (o-ring) part #:

13541341797 THROTTLE BODY GASKET S 1 $2.48

as the TB has to come off to get to the tensioner you might find the TB o-ring needs replacing. best to have one instead of realizing you now need to order one and wait to get it all back together.

my take on the first upgrade (at over $200) being discontinued then this new new upgrade being available (for much cheaper) is maybe a better design (but i have doubts) but more likely cost and the ripple effect of warranty replacement for people (who know about the upgrade) and head to their dealer to complain "about a noisey motor". guaranteed some bmw shop will warranty it if you complain, while others will just say "they all do that". if bmw redesigns a retrofittable (& better) part then they have to expect that the word gets out quickly (via the internet)and warranty claims will follow.

On a scale of 1 to 10, this one goes to 11. Alright, alright, FINE, I CAN'T quantify it! It just makes me FEEL good, alright?!?! Isn't that ENOUGH?!?!? HAH?!?!? (seriously, the bike runs quieter; less clatter from the cam chain. People will stop staring. Or at least they'll stare for the right reasons.)

So, am I to understand that you spend money and add complexity for the sake of reducing perfectly natural mechanical noise that does no harm? Hmmmm . . .

confused.gif

Pilgrim grin.gif

So, am I to understand that you spend money and add complexity for the sake of reducing perfectly natural mechanical noise that does no harm? Hmmmm . . .
Actually the new cam chain tensioner assembly is simpler than the old one, but I get your point and asked myself the same good question. What I couldn't answer was whether the noise really represented no harm or not, since it comes from the cam chain slapping on the tensioner arm. Maybe no harm being done by this even over a lot of miles, or... maybe not. Hard to know for sure. But I do know that you have to split the crankcase to replace the tensioner guide if it ever fails (which I have admittedly only heard of happening once, so yes, not exactly a glaring concern.) But since installing the updated tensioner is so easy...
Joe Frickin' Friday

confused.gif

Pilgrim grin.gif

What's next? "Loud Cam Chains Save Lives?" tongue.gif

Why not? My cam chain makes noise and I've never been in an accident, so that proves... oh, nevermind...

confused.gif

Pilgrim grin.gif

A fair question, I guess. thumbsup.gif The answer is yes, of course. Just not as many as loud pipes.

I'm probably conditioned over the years by the sound of the primary drive chain in my Harley slapping the shifter shaft that runs through the primary case. That makes the outer primary case resonate like a ten year-old's new drum. crazy.gif

But come to think of it, a couple years ago I finally slipped a piece of garden hose over the shaft and the noise changed its tone to a more bearable note. eek.gif

Pilgrim

Archived