IGNORED

ILLIUM Highway Pegs

timboaz

The post on Illium brake pedal brought something to mind. Does anyone have the Illium Highway Pegs installed on a 2008 R1200RT. I have never seen one on a bike in person and wonder if they fit on easily, are sturdy, and comfortable. I also have the BMW engine guards on my bike and wonder if that will affect the installation. I am vertically challenged and would love to have somewhere to rest my feet on long trips intermittently. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi - I have the Illium Hway pegs on my 2008 R1200RT. Here is a photo of the LH side of the bike while riding on a ferry.

th_DSC_6956.jpg

I could make more detailed photos w/closeups if you'd like. Just PM me.

John Gamel

Hi - Here's another photo on another ferry, showing the RH side of the bike.

IMG_0462.jpg

Pegs were easy to install, and give a lot of different positions for the feet. They're quite sturdy, and I stand on them all the time. I don't know about the engine guard bars, but don't imagine they'd interfere.

Nice n Easy Rider

John,

Those look like the Ilium Sportboards, rather than the Highway Pegs which I think Timboaz was asking about in his post.

majrosebud

Hi Tim,

I have a pair of Illium Highway pegs on my 07RT. I am 6'4" so our concerns might be a bit different. I can say they are of high quality and they fit the bike perfectly. No concerns whatsoever. I think they also would preserve the bike somewhat in a slow-no speed tipover. They fold up nicely under the hexhead, and look cool.

On long stretches, they do provide some relief. For me, the ergo on the RT is best when I don't use the Illiums. Also, the lower fairng kind of hit me about just above the ankles when I am strecthed out on the pegs. That being said, I am happy with the purchase and I'd recommend them.

majrosebud

Reread your post. The biggest concern on buying the Illiums is mounting the pegs. Is there enough space with your BMW engine guards to fit them. I have a 2-spark guard. It's made out of some type of heavy duty rubber. Pretty common. I've seen a lot of them. I had to dremel a slight bit off the bottom of the 2-spark to accomodate the highway pegs. Really, no big deal. I'd post pics, but can't do it on this work PC. Give Illium a call and tell them about mounting them with your type of engine guard.

If you want, PM me and I'll text you some pics.

Tim,

I just put the pegs on this spring and I'm 5'6" with only 29" inseam. I have Corban Low seat. I am still fine tuning the pegs for my comfort but so far I like them. the only issue i am having is that my calves hit the lower faring when i extend my legs unless I really open them up wide. They took about an hour to install and I'm no mechanic. I am glad i got them and would recommend to anyone. I too have the BMW guards and they do make it a bit snug but did not interferer.

Archived