IGNORED

My 1992 K75 won't start

letus

I am new here and this is my first post. I let the bike sit thru winter (outdoor) and now the weather is good, I decide to ride again. Changed gas, sparkplugs. Use a jumpstart battery to start the bike. It won't start without starting fluid with choke on all the way. After it starts, it won't idle and will stop if I don't feed starting fluid. I wonder if what's is wrong and where to start to fix it, any help is appreciated.

Check at sparkplugs, they all have sparks, just a little wet, I think fuel is flooded, injectors are fine. Any idea what to do? How do you know if the spark is good or not? Last year, when I don't pull the clutch, I can't start. Now, I can start with the side stand down and without clutch. Could this be a problem?

I have a K1100 and last year after sitting for a month or two it would crank but not start - it turned out to be the sidestand switch - I cleaned it and fiddled with the connector and all was good. You can also check over at the K1100 forum (www.K11OG.org) - they are really knowledgeable on troubleshooting older K-bike issues. Make sure to use the search first - there are several threads on starting issues. Good luck.

Also check out the flying brick forum, www.motobrick.com

If it only runs when augmented on starting fluid, it may be getting fuel, but at an insufficient rate, or low pressure. Check the fuel pump and filter.

You may also want to check the airbox and air filter and make sure no critters made a home there for the winter.

Dennis Andress

Lots of ideas...

• Does the fuel pump turn? A little bit of water in the fuel can cause them to freeze. Testing fuel pressure with a guage would be a good idea.
  • The ignition switch on both my 91 and 02 KRS was a dirt magnet. Every couple of years it would cause all sorts of electrical snafus
  • Is the TPS adjusted correctly? Slowly open the throttle and listen for a click from the TPS. It should happen as soon as the throttle comes off idle. Using the"choke" lever is a good way to test this.
  • Any vacuum leaks? Cracked intake stubs, the O'Rings between the intake and the head, vacuum hoses are all good places to check.
  • Spark plug wires. At $50+ they're way overpriced, but I used to replace mine every two or three years as they age poorly.

Dennis

I hear the fuel pump turns and it sounds a little loud.

My ignition switch is OK.

What is TPS?

Air filter is clean and no critters in there

Don't know if any vacumm leak.

I will check spark plug wires later.

Where is the switch on the sidestand?

Paul Mihalka

I'd say if the motor runs with starter fuel, there is a fuel problem. Ignition, spark, sidestand switch, everything else is probably working. Concentrate on the fuel supply.

Pulled the fuel pump and the mesh is dirty so fuel can't get thru. Clean that mesh with soap and water and put it back. It starts much easier and stay running, just a little rough. I guess it's running rough because I didn't empty the old gas all the way.

Dennis Andress

Sounds like replacing the fuel filter would be a good idea.

The fuel pump should make a buzzing noise when it runs. If it sounds loud it may have suffered water damage.

Do you know of any filter that works? The pump's sound is now OK. I think it was loud because of the dirty mesh

Archived