IGNORED

Stripped Thread Valve Cover - Seeking advise

Bigfish

One of my Valve cover threads is stripped.

I have youtubed the Helicoil route and it appears pretty simple.

Anyone out there on this forum done this yet?

I micrometered the bolt and it appears to be 6mm but not sure on the pitch.

I also have two other stripped threads where the Cylinder head protectors are installed. These too are 6mm and the pitch matches the Cylinder bolts.

What is the exact Die / Tap size needed to do this repair.

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon Bigfish

The thread pitch is 6x1 mm.

As far as Heli-Coil use is concerned-- those will work but in situations where a bolt is to be removed numerous times for service (like your rocker cover bolts) a properly set Time-Sert would probably be a better choice.

Lots of BMW boxer owners have used both with good success.

Personally I like Heli-Coils for permanent repairs on bolts or studs that stay put & Time-Serts for situation where the bolt will be removed.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Found a helicoil set for my 1100RT at a Napa. Took about an hour total and was back on the road. You do not need a locking element insert set, if you happen to come across one.

Before you start drilling, just make sure you are aligned to the hole. Same with the insert tap.

The Time Sert kit is 1610. Their use is straight forward with complete instructions included. Like previously, mentioned drill straight!

Time Sert Kit 1610 ordered.

Thank you all for the advise and the better solution.

I also ordered a tapping handle because the picture in the kit looked like it was not included.

FWIW, I only use one hand and a T type Allen wrench on these bolts.

Yeah, me too, right up until I stripped one :mad: I think it was the second valve adjust, and the cover wasn't seated tight enough over the doughnut. Don't use these threads to do the "pulling" of the cover to the head.

I Heli-coiled it, but if I knew of the Time-sert at the time it would have been my choice too.

Archived