IGNORED

First wrenching on my 2012 R1200RT

Lngrdr

After reading this forum and a couple of others, I decided to take the plunge and remove the tupperware on my new RT. I had already installed lowered pegs and wanted to lower the shifter and brake pedal as well as install an engine guard. I'm glad to report that all went well, no bolts left over, and nothing fell off on my test ride. I'm not much of a mechanic and just moved to BMW from Harley so I'm proud of myself for getting this done. Thanks to the forum for some guidance and the courage to give it a go. My dealer is about 100 miles away so I hope to learn how to do other routine maintenance on the bike as well.

I also moved from HDs to BMWs and not looking back. I have found working on the RT very straight forward and quick. Removing the Tupperware is automatic after a few times. Have fun working on your motorcycle and remember, if you get into a little trouble while doing so the people on this forum are a great resource and comfort. You are not alone.

It's a bonding experience to work on a bike. Good to get a look at all the internals (remember when you didn't have to remove any body panels to fix just about anything on a bike?)

And, yes, the bodywork on my '11 R-RT at least, is easy to remove and replace. Love that all the screws holding side panels on are the same. My '03 Honda ST had such an assortment of fasteners that I worked out a cardboard template to keep track of them all. Thanks BMW!

pete

It was much easier than I thought it would be. I'd encourage anyone worried about it to give it a shot. The Max BMW video on youtube helped as well.

Archived