IGNORED

Tire Wear

psyctrance

Hi All,

A friend and I are planning on doing a 4 corners ride (four corners of the continous US) next year and I wanted to get an idea of the mileage you 1200RT owners are getting out of your tires.

Thanks,

David

6300 miles on the OEM set (Bridgecraps). Now have Z6's and I doubt if I get much if any better but they sure transmit better confidence in the corners for some reason. Maybe one day, I'll understand how other's get over 10K out of a rear tire. I ride hard in the twisties but not so much on the slab.

Hi All,

A friend and I are planning on doing a 4 corners ride (four corners of the continous US) next year and I wanted to get an idea of the mileage you 1200RT owners are getting out of your tires.

Thanks,

David

Mine came with Z6s and I have 7,300 miles on them. Front is good for another 3K but rear has squared off pretty good. It should be good for another couple thousand, maybe less. Bill

Z6s stock 5800 miles, front 40% used rear 29% used, of original tread depth. Yes, I measured the tread depth when it was new, in the privacy of my garage.

ShovelStrokeEd

A set of Z6's or Pilot Roads will get you through that ride with no problems. I did mine back in '94 and the ride was a total of 7000 miles to complete. Of course that left me in San Diego with 2700 miles to go to get home. I did change tires there. 13 days on a '94 R1100RS with 740 miles on the clock when I left home. Key West to Madawaska, to Blaine, to San Ysidro. Took 6 more months to get home but that's another story.

Hi All,

Thanks,

David

David,

That sounds like a great time! Not sure with the Bridgestones on my new RT, but with Metzler Z4's I averaged 6500-7K on rear and 7500-8K front on a K1200GT.

A couple years ago, myself and a few other club members met 2 brothers at our local BMW dealer (the only one in Maine). One of them was having new tires mounted prior to riding to Madawaska Maine for 1 of the 4 corners where they started the tour. After talking with them for an hour or so, we offered to "host their trip" on our website. See club link below and check their ride out under the "Stories & photos" section if interested.

We have a large contingent of riders in Southern and central Maine. If we can be of any assistance, feel free to PM me if you'd like some contact info. There are many of us listed in the MOA anonymous. I've got a garage, trailer, compressor, bikelift etc. Best of luck on your venture! I know the two brothers we met had a fantastic time and it was most certainly a life long memory for them. It was also cool that they were able to take digital photos and send them via laptop when they were able. Our website was getting hit pretty hard with people following their progress!

Archived