IGNORED

Spline issues on 01 1100rt

GK8705

Hey guys new to the board and looking for a little advice. I purchased a 2001 Rll00RT 2 weeks ago with 31500 miles on it. Past couple times that I have taken it out I have notice an issue with down shifting from 3rd into 2nd and something 4th-3rd. I looked around on past post a saw it could be an issue with the clutch spines. What normally happens is if I need to down shift quickly, when got to 2nd from 3rd I will get a loud clunk or grinding noise and get an E, on the gear indicator. Most of the time I can shift back up to 3rd and try it again it works fine.

I am coming off riding a Triumph America so completely different riding style. Trying to determine if it is just me learning the gearbox on a new bike or the spline issue I have read about. Any help would be great or proper terms to search under for past post!

It may be a technique issue but the first things I would check are the pivot bolt on the shift lever and the clench bolt on the lever on the input of the gearbox. If either of these work loose - a fairly common occurrence - it would cause the symptoms you describe.

Andy

It may be a technique issue but the first things I would check are the pivot bolt on the shift lever and the clench bolt on the lever on the input of the gearbox. If either of these work loose - a fairly common occurrence - it would cause the symptoms you describe.

Andy

+1 Check this first.

Mine got stuck in first gear once due to this. It was embarrasing being passed by kids on bicycles.

coming off riding a Triumph America

Same here, interesting how one gets from that to this.

Not a R11RT expert but have learned that shift technique is meaningful and having all the linkage snugged down can help. If the linkage is allowed to get more sloppy than designed, it can lead to hard shifting that might make you think it's a transmission problem. I think a spline issue would generally present itself as simply revving and not going anywhere.

Shift technique generally means preloading the shifter (having tension on the shifter, then clutch-shift), and accepting that the R11RT gearbox will not 'snick' as a modern Triumph or Japanese gearbox will.

Archived