IGNORED

Valve adjustment question

bobbybob

Did not see this addressed in the other thread.

I read the San Jose BMW instructions for doing the valves and it appears 2 rockers are on opposite ends of the same shaft. If this is correct (is it?), when changing out the shims why remove the circlips on both ends of the shafts? Why not remove only the end next to the cam chain sprocket and slide the opposite rocker/shaft out far enough to remove it also? It seems this would eliminate a step.

Well, after zooming in on one of the pics closely it appears there may be 2 separate shafts for the 2 rockers. So I guess I'll find out for sure when I pull the head covers and start on it, right? :grin:

Yup, 2 distinct shafts. But I managed to break one of the plastic spark plug covers pulling it off. So I analyzed it on the valve cover OFF the bike and determined exactly what force needs to be applied and where. I then found an old tile grout remover and dremeled a small channel in one end. Now I have a dedicated tool for removal. Its a shame that no one at my dealer will answer truthfully when asked how to remove them. I guess they like to sell them at $20 a pop. :(

The BMW tool is only a few dollars. Trouble is, it doesn't work. The one that works best is the one from Marc Parnes. It's $25, but it will do the job every time.

The BMW tool is only a few dollars. Trouble is, it doesn't work. The one that works best is the one from Marc Parnes. It's $25, but it will do the job every time.

You're talking about the plug stick-coil puller. I didn't break the coil. I broke the plastic cover that covers the wires to the plug coil.

I'll add my valve measurement results in the "Valve Adjust" thread.

Archived