IGNORED

2010 RT vs. 2012 RT - any differences?

Sailorlite

I'm considering replacing my 60K mi. 2008 RT with a low milage hexhead RT. Apart from paint choices, I can't think of any differences between the '10, '11 and '12 models. For example, given equal milage, maintenance, and equipment, wouldn't a 2010 be the same bike as a 2012 - except for price?

Sometime between the 2010 and 2012 they switched from the fuel strip to a float type system for measuring the gas in the tank. You have to check by built date.

tsp

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

I have just taken delivery of my sixth R1200RT ,,, that makes ne quilified to comment. The new hex head is like chalk and cheese compared with the old oil head / hex head .... on paper they look the same ... on the road they are worlds apart

I ride around 25k miles each year and to keep the value up and to avoid any problems, I change every 18 to 24 months

Don't delay (if you can afford it) .... go for it, lifes short !!

I have a 2010RT.. other than the changeover to a float in the tank, (as mentioned) the only other change that I know of is that sometime in the later 2010 production year they changed the final drive a bit. It now has a vent.. I have an fairly early production 2010 (2/10 date) and mine has the non-vented final drive.

Other than that, I have never heard of any other differences...

• 3 weeks later...
Dave_in_TX
Sometime between the 2010 and 2012 they switched from the fuel strip to a float type system for measuring the gas in the tank. You have to check by built date.

tsp

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Do you know what date they did the switch to a float?

Limecreek

Dave - the float started with build date of 9/10, so you have the float in the bike you are looking at.

Cheers!

Dave_in_TX
Dave - the float started with build date of 9/10, so you have the float in the bike you are looking at.

Cheers!

Greg, I'm not so sure of that. The bike I'm looking at has a warranty until 9/25/2013 so I'm assuming it was purchased around 9/25/10 which makes me think it must have been built prior to 9/10.

Another change from 2010 to 2012 was a change in the front forks. The new forks resemble the design of the 1200GS and have machined sliders rather than cast as in the older design. The fork tubes appear to be larger as well. The new design appears beefier and possibly more resistant to flex. This change was made early into the 2011 model run. RT's made before 10/2010 have the older forks, triple trees, and brake caliper mounts. The difference is quite apparent when looking at a 2010 and later 2011 models onward.

Cheers!

Greg, I'm not so sure of that. The bike I'm looking at has a warranty until 9/25/2013 so I'm assuming it was purchased around 9/25/10 which makes me think it must have been built prior to 9/10.

Read the data plate on the upper fork leg. It has the build month/year on it.

Another change from 2010 to 2012 was a change in the front forks. The fork tubes appear to be larger as well.

enlarged diameter of the standpipe from 35mm up to 41 mm ?

The engine itself is a good enough reason to switch. I had an '09 prior to getting my '12 a couple of weeks ago. What a difference. Not just the power curve, but smoother.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know for certain that the fuel strip was replaced with a float system (e.g., late 2010 models)? When I say, know for certain, I mean has anyone actually seen a float system on a late 2010, or 2011, or 2012?

I know the microfiches show a different part. However, I spoke with my technician when I brought my 2010 in for it's 18K checkup. He indicated that, yes, the parts manuals indicate a picture of a float system but fuel strips are used on the hexheads (2010 through 2012).

I live in Houston. My technician works on a lot of BMWs and is considered one of the best. He said, "...I know what the pictures show but I also know what I've seen."

Does anyone know for certain that the fuel strip was replaced with a float system (e.g., late 2010 models)? When I say, know for certain, I mean has anyone actually seen a float system on a late 2010, or 2011, or 2012?

I know the microfiches show a different part. However, I spoke with my technician when I brought my 2010 in for it's 18K checkup. He indicated that, yes, the parts manuals indicate a picture of a float system but fuel strips are used on the hexheads (2010 through 2012).

I live in Houston. My technician works on a lot of BMWs and is considered one of the best. He said, "...I know what the pictures show but I also know what I've seen."

My mistake...I meant to say camheads...

I rode my neighbors 2011 and his handlebars were a bit different than my 2010... It seems the cast fancy BMW bars (whatever you call them) are narrower, allowing a longer (I think) 7/8" bar to come out of each end to the grips.. thus allowing room to mount more things using standard round type bar mounts. (Ala cruiser type bars.)

• 2 months later...

Hi I bought my bike in october 2010 but the bike is a 2011 so does anyone know if that bike would have the float in gas tank and if the forks would be old style or new ??

thanks

Hi I bought my bike in october 2010 but the bike is a 2011 so does anyone know if that bike would have the float in gas tank and if the forks would be old style or new ??

thanks

On the fuel level sensor, look at the month/year on the manufacturer's info sticker (on the upper rear side of the right fork leg, IIRC). If it is 08/10 or later, it should be the float.

• 1 month later...
I have a 2012 R1200R. I can see the strip in the tank when I open the filler.

David

The float is only been "re-fitted" to the RT & GS range. not the 1200R.

Archived