IGNORED

Stalling when handlebars are turned full left or right.

RevRay

A little back ground, last outing on my 2005 GS it stalled when maneuvering out of shed, I shruged it off to operator error. Then again while riding a parking lot obsticle course, not convinced it was operator error this time; I re-started bike and while standing still in neutral I turned the handlebars to extreme right when bike stalled out and same results turning left. When I got home I performed a GS 911 diagostic. See Report below

AutoScan Report

GS-911 version: 1201.5 Datapack version:0.8 Serial Number: GS70078702 Registered to: Raymond Aubel

Date: 4/15/2012 Time: 4:09:07 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motorcycle Information

VIN: WB10317A85ZL77364

Mileage: 81357.4 miles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMS-KBMS type: BMS-K

Part No.: 7697304

Hardware Index: 10

Coding Index: 1

Manufacturer: Bosch

Manufacturing Date: 2004-10-13

HWOE No.: 27212339

MCV: 0.5.6

FSV: 0.77.14

OSV: 2.3.1

VIN model year: 2005

No fault codes found

ZFE-HighZFE type: ZFE-High

Part No.: 7707225

Hardware Index: C2

Coding Index: 7

Manufacturer: Loewe Lear

Manufacturing Date: 2003-05-10

HWOE No.: 26768443

MCV: 0.5.7

FSV: 3.0.3

OSV: 3.3.0

Factory I-Level: K024-04-07-500

Actual I-Level: K024-09-02-500

No fault codes found

Integral ABS - CANPart No.: 7680864

HW Version No.: 2

Coding Index: 7

Manufacturer: FTE

Manufacturing Date: 2004-10-19

HWOE No.: 27081971

FSV: 1.4.0

OSV: 3.3.0

Assembly No.: 07680864

FTE Serial No.: 54380643X

Hardware No.: 07680860

Hardware star No.: 07680864

ICT barcode: 3CCC1D81

Housing barcode

part number: 532222801

Serial number: 10078

Internal index number: 21

FTE serial number

Serial number of device: 62

Modulator: 080

Main computer date: 2003-02-18

Communication and control computer date: 2004-06-18

Communication and control computer version: V03.06

1 fault codes found:

25159 Internal control module error - Timeout message ZFE_2

The fault is not present now.

CAN-Kombi H/LCluster type: CAN-Kombi H/L

Part No.: 7706636

Hardware Index: 1

Coding Index: 3

Manufacturer: Siemens VDO Automotive

Manufacturing Date: 2003-07-24

HWOE No.: 26756691

FSV: 1.8.0

OSV: 3.3.10

Factory I-Level: K024-04-07-500

Actual I-Level: K024-09-02-500

Assembly No.: 07706637

4 fault codes found:

37653 CAN-bus timeout : No communication with ZFE control unit

37654 CAN-bus timeout : No communication with ZFE control unit

37641 Electrical System (KL30) under-voltage

37642 Implausible Photocell voltage

Not that I know what any of that gibberish means. I started to wiggle any and all the wires I could get my hands on. to find that i was able to stall the bike by wiggling wires that go to ignition switch, two plugs at bottom of switch would open and close a circuit after some vigorous wiggling i get nothing now she won't start I think I killed her. Or could it be the ignition switch? Any ideas?

Ray-

Us Chromeheads have this kind of problem that happens with mileage and age. The cause id the same. The wiring harness bundle around the triple tree stretches and pulls causing the strands of wires to break and separate within the insulation. Invariably, it is always the ground wire that breaks or hangs like a thread then finally nothing. the circuits involved on the R1200c's are usually the ignition, signal lights and horn. Perhaps this is your problem. I am with you on the gibberish. CH members have tenaciously spliced in new wiring in those area and the problem went away.

I hope this will help on your way to solving the problem but I would wait until you get the skinny from some one here that can interpret the gibberish. Maybe we need a gibberish thread!

Yep. Same thing happened on my 05 R12ST. Took it to dealer, reproduced stall in front of service manager, waited 30 minutes, paid them $75, rode off without the problem.

Case closed!

JT

Well, I have the GS911. So, perhaps that is not gibberish to me.

To me it says ... loose wires.

But that is what your symptoms already said to me.

dc

They have gorillas tighten the zip ties in front of the tank cut them and the problem goes away

Had the same issue on a 97 R1100R. I cut away all the plastic ties on the wires in front of the tank and found a wire starting to separate inside a conduit of small wires. After you cut off all the plastic ties, turn on the key with your handlebars strait so that you have power to the bike. then grab wires coming out of the headlight bucket and wiggle them until the bike shuts off. It will take a little detective work, bunt eventually, you will find your problem.

Thanks for all the responces. My lack of patience and maybe aggressive wire manipulation has resulted in no ignition switch responce what so ever. I did close in on approximate area just prior system black out. When I located trouble area and engine stalled I continued trying to locate specific wire trouble watching a listening dash lights a fuse box activity. I'm hoping next chance I get to disconnect battery and reboot computer. It will at least start, at first I thought it might just be easier to replace wiring harness then I look up the cost of said harness 1400.00 wish me luck.

Thanks for all the responces. My lack of patience and maybe aggressive wire manipulation has resulted in no ignition switch responce what so ever. I did close in on approximate area just prior system black out. When I located trouble area and engine stalled I continued trying to locate specific wire trouble watching a listening dash lights a fuse box activity. I'm hoping next chance I get to disconnect battery and reboot computer. It will at least start, at first I thought it might just be easier to replace wiring harness then I look up the cost of said harness 1400.00 wish me luck.

Fixed, Thanks again and yes they have gorilla zip tie manipulators see photo

Stalling.png

• 2 years later...

Had the same issue with my 2007 g650 x-country. Found this forum and only a few minutes later found what was causing the flickering power. Right where the main wire harness was zip tied to frame under headlight, the zip tie had cut into the sheathing and the wiring. Was able to use a double female connector and fix the broken wire.

Thanks guys......probably saved me a hundred bucks.

Archived