IGNORED

Hein Gericke Master IV Jacket/Pants Combo

Guest Kakugo

I am the first, I am number one! :grin:

Seriously, I'd like to write a review about my present riding gear.

At the beginning of 2006 I decided to take on riding again after a pretty serious accident.

After a bit of soul-searching I decided to buy an all-weather combo, weather here in the mountains being quite unpredictable, to do away with the inconvenience of a rain suit.

I hopped into the Hein Gericke shop in Munich (top service and highly recommended) and after the usual process of trying stuff on I settled for their top of line combo: the Master IV. The fact it came with a five year warranty surely didn't hurt.

I have used this combination every day since, except in very hot weather or on the track. I think it has about 100000 miles on it.

Quality is miles and miles ahead of anything I had before (Dainese, Arlen Ness etc). Color doesn't show the slightest hint of fading, it hasn't leaked once even in the foulest weather. The thermal insert it came with can keep you very comfortable even well below freezing temperatures. My only complaint is I could use a couple of extra ventilation holes in the upper body but since I have an excellent summer suit (more of which at a later date) I can live with it. Only care it ever saw was to be machine washed once in a while as per instructions.

It cost 600€ new... money well spent if you ask me. Sadly it was discontinued last year (and replaced by the new Master V) but there are still a few laying around, though they are mostly odd sizes.

This winter it started to show the first signs of time: two zippers gave out (one in the jacket and another in the pants). I had one replaced locally and will have the other fixed as soon as the weather warms up and I can use the lighter stuff.

As I said I'll replace it the moment it starts to leak but, thankfully, it's still fully waterproof to this day.

All in all it was one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought together with Arai helmets and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

I have had a Hein Gericke jacket for 7 years. I have not had zippers fail, but the zipper pull tabs have failed. The material is top notch. The sizes run a little small. My "Large" jacket fits more like "sport bike Large" :/

Archived