IGNORED

Help setting up a 1200RT

Mike_F

I am thinking about picking up a new RT soon, and was wondering what your thoughts are about some of the options, now that you have had time to ride the machines for a while. And if you were going to set up an 06 for youself, what would you get? I really could care less about the low oil sensor thing. What about ESA? I read the early thoughts from folks that got it, but would like to hear how you like it now.

TIA,

Aeroflow or Cee bailey windscreen

Russell, Corbin, or Wunderlich aftermarket seat

ESA I really like. There is enough difference in the three settings for me at 150lbs to be of benefit.

Skip the CD/radio

Wunderlich engine protection bars.

These are the items I'd consider.

BMW options:

1.ESA is nice.

2. Oil check.. fuggeddaboutit. Just bend down and look at the sight glass

3. Computer..yes

4. Radio..ehhh..not.

5. Cylinder head protectors yes. (get the plastic ones and use in conjunction with Wunderlich engine bars)

6. BMW tank bag for the R1200RT

7. Heated seat? Depends where you live. Cold country = yes. South or Southwest.. nah. Just get a Gerbing's heated jacket liner.

8. Battery charger for new R12 bikes... cold country = yes. South or Southwest = no

9. Alarm. no

10. Radio Prep Kit.. the radio doesn't get many good reviews, but if you have the prep kit you have speakers, antenna, etc ready to go for your own set up.

Aftermarket 3rd party stuff

1."Elf-pegs". (but be carefull if you use head protectors.. some won't permit the use of the "Sahara" Elf-pegs. Expensive but the best forward pegs you can get for this bike. Around $350 new. Check classified for used ones.

2. Plan on upgrading the 'tool kit' with additional torx drivers, tire inflation kit, etc. Could be $50 or more, depending on what you get.

3. Kathy's Journey Bags for the side cases. $100.00 from Bob's BMW

4. GIVI Maxia 52L with adaptor plate #193 for a topcase. About $450 with adaptor plate. Looks better (IMHO) and way cheaper than the BMW topcases.

5. Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 half cover. Waterproof, small.

6. GPS $400-$1200

7. Maybe a custom seat.. but wait til you ride 6 mos. or so. Bill Meyer = about $600. (don't quote me).

8. mini-mag light to fit in the little clip under the lid of the radio box.

I put just about every gizmo on my RT (but not the alarm) and my favorite is the BMW Navigator II GPS. It is outstanding. I saw one on ebay for about $1000. You can use it in your car, too.

-Eric

E.S.A. is a must.... Don`t buy one without it.

Cruise control, heated seats and grips. BMW tank Bag.

Computer and oil level indicator.

Garmin GPS

Hi Tia,

I've got almost 12k on my RT and here's what it came with and what I do and do not like.

1. Oil level indicator. Useless. Today it said my oil level was too low most of the time and occassionally said it was ok. In the glass after sitting the level is about 1/8th of an inch from the top. It is nearly "full". Don't get it unless it is free.

2. Heated seat. Contrary to what someone else posted here about the heated seat being of no use in the south, it is of GREAT use. I live in North Texas and the combo of heated seat and grips Means I can get by with much less clothing than I normally would. In fact I think those living in the south will benefit the most from having the heated seat. We ride in the winter while those in the great white north don't(mostly).

3. Radio. Don't have have it and don't miss it. Also, it's less weight.

4. ESA. Mine didn't come with it. I have upgraded to Wilbers which I love (very much like Ohlins) and they weigh less than the stock non-esa shocks.

5. BMW tank bag. I got it and I like it a lot. It is a bit pricey but it works very well and is a quality product.

6. No alarm. I don't think it's needed because the R1200RT is not sold in enough volume to be solen for parts. It's not likely to be stolen to ride unless you leave your key in the bike. The key has a chip in it that the bike must see to start. It already has anti-theft protection built in.

8. Battery charger. I use a conventional charger. How? I have an auxilary fuse panel installed wired to the battery and connected to extra powerlet outlets. I have one than is not switched and I charge the battery through this plug.

9.Cylinder protectors. I have them and recommend them. Sooner or later you will drop your bike. I also have the protectors on the bags and in additon to the protection they enhance the look of the bike.

10.The 49 liter trunk. It is pricey but it so functional. If you can swing it I'd get it.

BTW, for those of of you R1200RT/ST riders interested, EBC now sells brake pads certified (TUV - Germany) for our bikes. The EBC part number for the front pads are FA335HH (x2) and FA363HH or FA363 for the rear. I ordered them from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse yesterday so I've no clue how good they are. They are much cheaper than buying them from BMW. I have not at all been satisfied with the stock pads so this why I am trying something else.

612694-P51500.jpg.93f39b36839cd39e4faa810c170635f3.jpg

I think you may be wondering about how to have the bike setup for a pre order?

Radio is decent but not with the money. If you must have tunes take the radio money and buy an satellite receiver and a comm system. Personally wouldn't bother with the radio prep kit either.

ESA is nice. I wouldn't pay $750.00 for it but I have a hunch they're all going to have it.

I would nix the computer/oil level checker. The only function I really use is the thermometer and it's off a few degrees.

Heated grips (standard?) and heated seats thumbsup.gif Even if you opt for a custom saddle you can retain the heat at no extra charge.

No chrome exhaust

Cruise control (standard?)

Options to add after the purchase or at the time of delivery.

I would add head protectors immediately (even though I haven't needed them)

The BMW tank bag is a great set up but too large for me.

I love the large top case

I'd opt for a GPS unit other than the BMW unit because of the high price of they're unit. Also you may end up playing around with different mounts. I end up moving stuff around several time before I figure out where I want everything.

I have a Cee Screen and am happy with it. I wasn't really unhappy with the stock screen but it was damaged at the time of delivery and the dealer credited me the cost of a new one.

I would add an socket in the rear and wire it direct to the battery (via a fuse of course) and use a tender rather than the hight tech high dollar can bus charger. Also if you plan on adding a lot of gadgets some type of auxiliary power distribution will be needed.

V1thumbsup.gif

I can't think of much else. I've found that I like to ride a bike for a while before I start messing with ergo or comfort issues. I've wasted a lot of money changing things only to go back to the stock set up a few thousand miles later.

In BMW's infinite bean-counter wisdom, they have stopped including two crucial items with new bikes - you'll want to get both and try to get the dealer to throw them in on the deal (good luck!)

1. Extra key (the RT only comes with one "normal" key and an extra plastic key).

2. Full toolkit. The "mini" toolkit that now comes with the bike doesn't even include a tire patch kit. Totally unfriggin' believable given that this is a touring bike. Go figure.

In any event, you'll love the RT!

I have the ESA and I really like it. I would add that.

I have the radio. The CD player skips. I would not add it.

The on board computer is a great convenience. I would add that.

I have the BMW small top case. It looks much better on the bike, even though it does not hold as much as the large top case. The large top case looks huge on the bike.

I have the heated low seat and heated grips. I live in the South and it does get cold enough here to make good use of them. I would add them.

I have the chrome exhaust and it adds some additional flair to the bike, especially with all of the plastic.

I have the oil sensor and it has been right on each time I ran low on oil. I would add it.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I am not going to consider the BMW tank bag, as I think the mount makes the bike look cheap. I only ride with a tankbag on long trips, so the bike will look bad "to me" the rest of the time.

ESA looks good, but am concerned with aftermarket shock options for use with the system after the stock units fail.

The computer I will hopefuly not be forcefed. It just doesn't seem to have any benefits. I will definitley have them get me an extra key. Tools are really no problem, as I want to pick the tools that I want anyways. Heated grips are a must, but heated seat I may pass on. Seat will probably be Russell. Will definitley get cylinder head protectors.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I am not going to consider the BMW tank bag, as I think the mount makes the bike look cheap. I only ride with a tankbag on long trips, so the bike will look bad "to me" the rest of the time.

ESA looks good, but am concerned with aftermarket shock options for use with the system after the stock units fail.

The computer I will hopefuly not be forcefed. It just doesn't seem to have any benefits. I will definitley have them get me an extra key. Tools are really no problem, as I want to pick the tools that I want anyways. Heated grips are a must, but heated seat I may pass on. Seat will probably be Russell. Will definitley get cylinder head protectors.

Thanks again everyone.

I have the cylinder head protectors. Realize before you install that doing so means that each time the valves are adjusted you (or the service tech) will have to remove 80+% of the tupperware. This adds a significant amount of (billable) time to the job.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I am not going to consider the BMW tank bag, as I think the mount makes the bike look cheap. I only ride with a tankbag on long trips, so the bike will look bad "to me" the rest of the time..

You're getting the mount anyway, Amigo. It's a standard part of the tank, not a part of the tank bag. The tank bag merely fits on that piece. You CAN take it off, but you'll hate that look even more. It shouldn't be long before some third party comes out with a smaller, cheaper tank bag though. Having a tank bag is really convenient for keeping your map visible, and as a collection point for all the other oddments you might like to carry.

At first I didn't like the look of the mount - but as it turns out, it's a very functional tank protector. I don't have to worry about my jacket scuffing up the tank.

I am thinking about picking up a new RT soon, and was wondering what your thoughts are about some of the options, now that you have had time to ride the machines for a while. And if you were going to set up an 06 for youself, what would you get? I really could care less about the low oil sensor thing. What about ESA? I read the early thoughts from folks that got it, but would like to hear how you like it now.
With regards to ESA, check out this post. This is the exact reason I opted to skip the ESA option. Since I don't usually ride two up, I don't think I'm really missing anything. But as they say, YMMV.
At first I didn't like the look of the mount.

Me either. But, I consider it a case of form following function. When it comes down to it, I actually didn't really like the overall, angular looks of the bike itself when compared to the more fluid lines of the 1150. But, I've gotten accustomed to it now. Same way with my GS.

The BMW tank bag is really a good piece of equipment, particularly when riding without the side bags. This bike looks great without the side cases, and unless I'm off for multiple days I leave them off.

I'm impressed with the ESA. I thought it would be one of those options that was big on talk and little on actual function but it really works and works well.

Riding by myself I'm usually in normal mode but a couple times I've ridden on I-5 in the Seattle area which is a really crappy freeway with alot of bumps and ridges. Flip the bike into 'comfort' mode and the bumps go away by about 50%. Also flipping into 'sport' mode is way cool, you can actually feel the bike stiffening up. Obviously as a sport touring bike you're going to be changing modes, riding the freeway then getting off and hitting some twisties. Bear in mind you can make these changes while moving which is simply awesome. Especially if you flip into sport and realize its too stiff for what you're doing you just flip right back to normal without even stopping. I think ESA in is a perfect compliment to this bike.

With regard to the one or two up setting, you do have to do that one while you're sitting still however I rode two up for the first time this past weekend and after going a short distance the bike felt a little mushy and I realized I forgot to set the two-up mode before we took off. At the next stoplight I flipped to two-up and handling improved noticeably.

I can't think of a downside to ESA so far aside from the additional cost but if I was going to go cheap I'd have bought the Honda or Yamaha bike not the BMW.

Survived-til-now

The engine head protectors are a good idea BUT

I am ashamed to say I dropped my R1150RT twice - once in a sudden hail storm and one on a patch of black ice that had lingered long after the visible frost had gone (excuses I know). The thing is both times the bike slid along the road balancing nicely on the head but in a direction that went across the re-inforced bars of the protector and not along them. They disintegrated both times and I have concluded that they are only fit for a static or near static drop.

Contrast the black guard with the sexy cover shown on the R1200GS (go to BMW Motoradd site). I saw them at a show over here in the UK and they not only look good they also look like they are tough enough to do the job too.

So I'd pass over the guards for the RT and get the guards for the new GS.

I have those aluminum guards on my GS. They do look great, but you can't use the elf pegs with them as they cover the plug wire groove.

But since you mentioned it, other guards made for the GS should also work with the RT (head guards, not engine bars), such as these from Touratech:

01-044-0360-01.jpg

These are more expensive than the plastic ones from BMW, but still cheaper than the aluminum jobs. They're a little 'robo' looking for an RT.

I have those aluminum guards on my GS. They do look great, but you can't use the elf pegs with them as they cover the plug wire groove.

But since you mentioned it, other guards made for the GS should also work with the RT (head guards, not engine bars), such as these from Touratech:

01-044-0360-01.jpg

These are more expensive than the plastic ones from BMW, but still cheaper than the aluminum jobs. They're a little 'robo' looking for an RT.

Those guards would look good on the RT painted flat black. Am I seeing it right? Could you add/remove that guard on the RT w/out pulling off the plastics?

Those guards would look good on the RT painted flat black. Am I seeing it right? Could you add/remove that guard on the RT w/out pulling off the plastics?

Black powder coated might even be better. As far as installing w/o removing the plastic.. I don't know. The lower rear of the jug is pretty close to the fairing, and there is a mounting bolt there. I'm not sure of Touratech uses those lower bolts or not. The BMW protectors do.

Even at that, I was able to install my BMW protectors by just 'springing' the plastic outboard a little while turning the bolt.

Mike have you received a set of those bags? If so how's the quality? I've been waiting for them to come out and if I don't sell the RT soon I'd like to get set

Mike have you received a set of those bags? If so how's the quality? I've been waiting for them to come out and if I don't sell the RT soon I'd like to get set

just as described! Very good. Sturdy and light weight. Perfect fit. One left, one right. $49.00 + $10.00 over eBay.

I just received a set yesterday. Lightning fast shipping, and great value for the money. $60 delivered in 2 business days. The carry straps are a plus too.

I am a new BMW owner R1200RT. Looking for my seat options, Mayer, Russell ? How do I go about deciding ?

Have the heated seats, I am never two up rider.

thanks to all

dave albany ny

I am a new BMW owner R1200RT. Looking for my seat options, Mayer, Russell ? How do I go about deciding ?

Have the heated seats, I am never two up rider.

thanks to all

dave albany ny

Dave..

Ride it for a while with stock seats if you haven't already. Personally, I'm not a fan of aftermarket seats unless they are custom made, which usually means riding the bike to a seat maker. Fortunately for me, I'm within riding distance of both Corbin and Bill "Rocky" Mayer. That being said, if riding in isn't an option, Mayer takes as many measurements from you as he can, including a photo of you sitting on the bike. If it were me, I'd go with Mayer. Just my opinion.

I have owned a Bill Mayer saddle, and it was fantastic. I don't know about Russell, but Bill Mayer saddles use the original seat pan, and in your case, you will have to send in pictures of you sitting on your bike. Rick, who shaves the foam custom for you, will look at your rear end and determine how to cut it. I was fortunate to go to his store and have him make it while I wait, and I can attest that they take extra care in making all the seats. Good luck.

Archived