IGNORED

Odyssey PC680 Installation, 04 R1150RT

roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt

I've just installed a PC680 that batterymart.com delivered yesterday. To my surprise, it was fully charged. The install took a couple hours, including pulling and replacing the fairing. In concept it's easy to do but it takes some care to dress the cables downward because the PC680 is taller than many batteries.

On my 04 RT it's not a seamless installation. The main negative cable to the engine needed to be reshaped to fit, there is a tab at the end that needs to be flattened. The L-adapter brackets (required because the PC680 has no lug terminals like usual batteries) had to be assembled in a certain order (ground has to be attached to the L bracket before the L bracket is attached to the battery). And now, to get at the positive terminal I will have to lift or pull the tank. The positive terminal is a close fit to the inside of the gas tank and fairing so cable dressing is important. Lastly the rubber hold-down strap was loose so the battery needed a rubber shim between the strap and battery to stay tight.

I'm satisfied overall, but it turned into an "erector set" type project.

RB

pc680a.JPGpc680b.JPG

Swell-Daddy

Did the exact same thing a couple of years ago. I have loved the battery and after you re-install the tupperware you completely forget about the erector style of installation.

:clap:

roger 04 rt

By dressing I mean how the cables get routed from the battery terminal to the wiring harness. Since they all have lugs but the lugs interfere with each other the lugs look like spokes on a wheel when everything is bolted down.

Unfortunately for me, I did what I had done with my other batter and some of the smaller wires had their lugs somewhat above horizontal and those cables touched the fairing, a no no. So I had to loosen the bolts, reposition the lugs and re-torque the bolts.

Torquing the bolts meant lifting the tank a second time and then re-torquing its fastening bolt. Ugh!

Could of just put the battery in on its side and saved a bit of time... the Gel Pack Battery does not need to be mounted terminal side up.

Been in my RT like that for 5 years now.

I just replaced my Odyssey PC680 in my 02 RT. Never gave me any trouble but since it was over 7 years old and I had the bike apart for full maintenance I thought I would replace it.

Ted

Archived