IGNORED

Rear bearing carriers and Locktite from HELL!

bmweerman

Hello again mein troopers

As some of you know I'm doing a spline lube and clutch plate replacement on my RT.

According to Ted's Video the bearing carriers need to be heated to break the locktite and that excessive force will strip the threads...OK..great.

Well the inner one came out just fine

48093959-M.jpg

But this sucker.....

48093964-M.jpg

Is not budging....I don't know how I could heat it up any more. Have spent 2 evenings on this bad boy.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Cameron

I hope you are using a really long breaker bar!!! The torque spec on those fixed journals is 150 Nm on the early bikes, and was chaged at some point to be 160 Nm. It takes a lot of heat (10+ minutes) and a lot of torque to start it turning. Once it starts it should turn out smooth, if it's jerky you still need more heat.

HTH

Stan

Bruno and me took mine apart where I broke down with no heat assistance. It was a real bear and I'm lucky no damage to bike. We found a 10' piece of pipe laying next to a fellows garage, and slipped it over the wrench. I say don't do this at home!

We found a 10' piece of pipe laying next to a fellows garage, and slipped it over the wrench

Lucky you didn't disturb the Earths orbit with that lever........ grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

10 foot, wow!!!!!

Stan

Where are you concentrating the heat, the housing or the bolt? In this case because you are trying to release the compound I believe you will have better luck heating the bolt. Blow the heat down the center long and hard. You want it so hot you would easily burn your finger if touched. That and a long breaker bar (although 10' might be a bit of a stretch eek.gif) and it will come. Unlike ill-fated transmission drain plugs sometimes, I've never seen one strip out or anything. The pivot bolt is very hard material. So don't be afraid to lean into it so to speak.

We found a 10' piece of pipe laying next to a fellows garage, and slipped it over the wrench

Lucky you didn't disturb the Earths orbit with that lever........

Now THAT'S Funny smirk.gif

But seriously though..I will work on that tonight and let you guys know what happens.

This darn working for a living serioulsy cuts into my "renching and riding time grin.gif

Thanks again.

Gratitude with Attitude

Cameron

Any thoughts?

Yep... when you reassemble use blue locktite! Even though I will do doubt take a shot for this comment I think blue is quite adequate in this application.

I've never seen one strip out or anything.

I have. Mine. Luckily the female threads in the transmission didn't strip, but the bearing carrier bolt failed, fractured around the Allen head socket hole. Added about a week to the repair process to get another one.

It looks like you suffer from project creep! I have the same problem. One school of thought on the clutch repair is to keep the back wheel together with the drive shaft/final drive and roll the gearbox back to expose the clutch. Then with assistance roll it back together being careful with the pushrod and be done with it. Now that you’re into the drive shaft plan on replacing the bearings in pairs as needed. They generally come out in two pieces. You may get lucky and not need to replace them, but be prepared. They’re $40.00 apiece.

When you connect the driveshaft back up, the front (tranny end)connects up first, leave a rag in the final drive end of the drive shaft housing for the drive shaft to rest on to provide some elevation of the shaft for an easier connection. When the shaft is mated up with the final drive, push the pieces together, pull the rag out and button it back up. Good luck!

Just a bit over 200 degrees F is key! Get spit on your finger, and then touch the surfaces being heated......it should "Sizzle" when your close. And yes.....the longer the breaker bar, the better. Mine is 20".....added to the wrench it's about 32"!

Pat

It looks like you suffer from project creep!

Absolutely! dopeslap.gif Now I know what to call it. thumbsup.gif Do I need a prescription for the cure or is there something OTC to treat that condition? grin.gif

Just a bit over 200 degrees F is key! Get spit on your finger, and then touch the surfaces being heated......it should "Sizzle" when your close. And yes.....the longer the breaker bar, the better. Mine is 20".....added to the wrench it's about 32"!

Thanks!!!

That info is going to help a lot!!

I used a propane torch with mapp gas. It's alot faster than a heat gun.

I LIKE IT!!

Aluminum undergoes no radical color change before it puddles.

eek.gif

Pilgrim

Use a concentrated form of heat like a propane torch. Yes, Really.

A heat gun heats everything ....slowly. A torch will heat the bolt faster, without trying to heat the entire casting. While it is still heating start working the bolt. Once it starts to move, stop heating and keep working it as it cools.

Works every time for me!

Bob.

russell_bynum

Aluminum undergoes no radical color change before it puddles.

eek.gif

Pilgrim

If that isn't the voice of experience, I don't know what is.

grin.gif

Aluminum melts @ 1220.666 °F, 660.37 °C

A hand torch reaches a heating temperature around 1,050°F.

I'd use caution but you'll be fine as long as you don't get crazy with it.

thumbsup.gif

God I love playing with stuff that might blow up!! crazy.gif

48216700-M.jpg

Torch Worked

48216723-M.jpg

48217346-M.jpg

48216860-M.jpg

And it only took a 12 inch wrench! grin.gif

Hey thanks a LOT you guys thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Cameron

Aluminum melts @ 1220.666 °F, 660.37 °C

A hand torch reaches a heating temperature around 1,050°F.

I'd use caution but you'll be fine as long as you don't get crazy with it.

thumbsup.gif

Aluminum oxide on the surface of the material melts at 3,700 F while the base-material aluminum underneath will melt at 1,200 F.

Mapp gas flame tip temp is about 5300°F.

Propane is 3500°F.

God I love playing with stuff that might blow up!! crazy.gif

Did you check for fire sprinklers first??!! grin.gifgrin.gifthumbsup.gif

That's sick! I had the exact same thought! grin.gif

Glad you got it out, BM! smile.gif

[only slightly related humerous aside]

Urban legend at the Hotel del Coronado: A rabbi was back in the litchen giving a kosher blessing to the food at a very fancy orthodox banquet and somehow it involved waving some sort of fire around (I presume over his head? Perhaps someone who knows more about this could verify that). The Hotel del Coronado is the largest all wooden structure west of the Mississippi River, built in the 1880's, Thomas Edison supervised the installation of the electric lighting system, and it was one of the first buildings to have "Fire Sprinklers"! smile.gif

You can guess the rest of the story, but imagine how black and brackish the water standing in those ancient iron pipes must've been! eek.gif

With the right blend of oxy and a # 7 Victor tip, propane, MAPP or Acetylene can be used to cut 5" thick steel. Been there / done that. Alu will cut like butter.

I guess my point is that you should be careful. Maybe with that tip and that mix, 1050 is the max temp. But like Pilgrim alluded to, things can go very wrong very quickly.

Well either way thanks chopperdan... thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Finally got back on the project and had to do the same routine to get the swing arm off. Took about 10 minutes to do both sides with no damage to anything...frickin beautiful! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Did you check for fire sprinklers first??!!

Where would the fun be in that? grin.gif

Thanks for the historical aside Jamie...that was great!

Yeah...thanks for bringing that up...I meant to thank you for that one...I love down and dirty tricks like that!!!

And, as you said, that's just about the right temp thumbsup.gif

Thanks again!

Archived