IGNORED

R1200RT ESA

T-Jet

No, not a "must have" just a nice to have. It lets you change the spring preload and the shock stiffness with the push of a button

While ESA does adjustments automatically, going with manual suspension is not only cheaper, it gives you the ability to make "unlimited" adjustments.

You'll get people saying it's not worth it and others saying it's great. I have it and like it a lot. After spending nearly $20K on a bike what's a little more money. :) But I did opt out of the audio option!

I like riding the freeway set to me & luggage and mode to comfort, get to the hotel and unload the bike, set it to 1 rider and no luggage and normal mode, get to the twisty roads and change the mode to sport. All by pressing a button.

But I'm an older guy. On my prior bikes I was always forgetting to make those changes and hated stopping on the side of the road to make the changes. Also hard to do if riding with a group.

The one negative, besides cost, that I've read about on the forums is that it will fail in short order (some say as early as 25,000 miles but I have that on my bike already... knock on wood). When the shocks fail I want to replace with 3rd party but with the ESA function.

Also worth noting is that ESA was upgraded with the 2010 RT. Two changes made is a bigger spread between modes and a variable spring rate for the rear spring.

It's your money... your decision.

tsp

Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Seems to me... if you frequently change your ride load (solo rider, two-up, two-up with luggage, etc.) and riding style (mostly highway, mostly back roads, sporty, touring, etc) you would find ESA useful. If you usually ride the same way then manual adjustments aren't a big deal and ESA is one more thing to break. For the record, I've got ESA on my '11 RT but only because the bike had it and I wanted the thing immediately. No radio, tho - what's better than the music of the big twin?

pete

Got ESA and when the new bike comes out, will have it again without a doubt.

Used properly, the RT can have huge weight changing differences and the ESA does make it easy to adjust to the different changes in the loading of the bike and the environment/road condition.

Probably one of the best inventions/implementations made for touring bikes.

Just to give an example (ignoring preload for the moment):

Heading to Gingers creek.

The first part is a long stretch of high speed but bumpy road. Set it to "comfort" mode makes this from just being annoying to enjoyable.

Then we hit the mountain range of fast sweepers and 25km/h hairpins. By the time you go through the first hairpin and the bike wallows through it, you know it's time to change to "sport" mode.

And believe me, I am not an expert rider, but boy, can you tell the difference.

Now if you mainly run highways or any kind of same type of roads for the majority of the time, then I would agree, it's a waist of money.

If you use the bike through it's full range (as I do), i.e single rider no panniers through one of the best rider's road in this country..to riding fully loaded two up on the highway, then it's an absolute blessing.

I like the idea of a lowered 1200RT but then you can't get one with ESA. Is ESA a "must have"?

No.

ESA can't and doesn't compensate for the wimpy rebound damping on stock BMW shocks. ESA setting choices are teeth-rattling hard, mush, and extra-mush, with poor control at any setting. And when they wear out, they must be replaced at high cost, not rebuilt.

Aftermarket shocks are a must have, like Ohlins or Wilbers.

Once set up for you, great shocks give you a comfortable, controlled ride on any surface at any speed and never need adjustment. For two-up weight change just spin a preload dial. When they wear out they can be rebuilt.

I like the idea of a lowered 1200RT but then you can't get one with ESA. Is ESA a "must have"?

No.

ESA can't and doesn't compensate for the wimpy rebound damping on stock BMW shocks. ESA setting choices are teeth-rattling hard, mush, and extra-mush, with poor control at any setting. And when they wear out, they must be replaced at high cost, not rebuilt.

Aftermarket shocks are a must have, like Ohlins or Wilbers.

Once set up for you, great shocks give you a comfortable, controlled ride on any surface at any speed and never need adjustment. For two-up weight change just spin a preload dial. When they wear out they can be rebuilt.

I have to agree..

Using Wilbers myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a must have by any means. In fact in my view its a plus because that means that you can switch to a superior aftermarket suspension like Ohlins without having to throw out your expensive ESA stuff. I had a 2005 non esa bike that I put Ohlins on and loved it. I had the Ohllins removed and the original shocks replaced when I traded it for my 2010 with ESA. The ESA was fine but I had my old set of Ohlins installed at the 1000km first service and haven't looked back.

As another poster said once set up they need very little adjustment. I occasionally increase the pre-load to compensate for luggage but that is literally a 30 second job.

Archived