IGNORED

highway pegs

AustinTexas

Howdy All

I’m new to BMWSportTouring – great site – great info

I’m riding a 02 R1150RT with stock seat (with airhawk) set on the middle setting (I’m 5’10”). I have been experiencing cramping in my hips on long rides – was wondering if highway pegs would help or not?

Austin -

I am your height with a 31 inch inseam and I run the seat on my 04 RT in the low postion, with an Alaska Leather sheepskin, but I have installed a set of "seat jacks" I bought through Cycle Gadgets. The seat jacks are plastic shims that prop the front of the seat up to prevent the natural tendency with the stock setup to slide forward on the seat. This caused pain in my hips as I was constantly adjusting myslef back on the to rear portion of the seat, but with the seat jacks and sheepskin I have been able to do several back-to-back 800 mile days.

Not sure if this will work for you, but just a thought.

Ride safe.

It is nice to move your legs around on a long trip. But I ended taking my Hwy pegs off because I just felt unplanted so to speak when my legs were on them.They seemed to add to the CG problem that the RT already has.

You might be better off with a custom seat instead.

I really did like my forward pegs on my Harley's and I thought they'd work on the RT. They work on the Harley's so well because you set into the bike as oppossed to sitting on top of it and their CG is much lower.

Howdy All

I’m new to BMWSportTouring – great site – great info

I’m riding a 02 R1150RT with stock seat (with airhawk) set on the middle setting (I’m 5’10”). I have been experiencing cramping in my hips on long rides – was wondering if highway pegs would help or not?

You bet they do. As previously mentioned, you wouldn't want to keep your feet up there all the time, especially when hard into the twisties, but they do give me relief when needed from just the issues you talk about. I use these:

elf-pegs.

They're pricey, but by far the most 'sanitary' installation. They tuck neatly out of the way when not in use.

also using the elf-pegs here. got them from this board for $200. I would not pay $350 for them. For me, close to your height, they are not good for long distances in cruiser mode. The jugs are too wide and too high for that, even with custom seat. What they are good for as noted by others is the stretch every 20 min or so. This can really extend your comfort, especially on a long trip. There are other brands out there, but the elfs are very trick.

Good luck.

Tom Collins

04R1150RT Brunhilda

06 HD FXDWGLI (alphabet soup bike)

Archived