IGNORED

New to me R1100RT - Do they all shift like this?

Santron

I just purchased a 2000 R1100RT-P with 54K on the clock. When upshifting into 2nd and 3rd gears, it feels like grinds just a bit before going into gear. If I shift at <3K RPM it seems to minimize it and it goes into gear with a nice "click". It does shift into gear just fine, it just seems kind of rough getting it in there compared with my Honda and Suzuki. This is my first BMW so I am really not sure what is normal. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just responded to your post in the BMWSportTouring forum. You need to pre-load just prior to shifting.. i.e. depress the shift lever until you just feel resistance, then pull in the clutch, and "click" it'll slip right into gear. There's an article on the IBMWR site explaining the "why" of it (i.e. a guy went to Germany and interviewed the BMW design engineers), but the upshot is that the BMW tranmissions are designed to be "tight" and quiet rather than smoother and noiser.

There are lots an lots of posts out there regarding the RT trannies .. yes, they all do that.

There are countless technical explanations of why BMW transmissions are so poor but they really are mostly just excuses. There are some workarounds though that can be mastered via the proper techniques which can be pretty effective in taming them. I've found the best solution is to simply lower your expectations and don't expect Japanese smoothness or reliability and just accept the BMW transmission for what it is... an example of European 'character' vs. Japanese functionality. Once you learn the tricks and get into the groove it'll be OK and you'll hardly notice it anymore. Just don't ride any Japanese bikes.

Just don't ride any Japanese bikes.

Heh. I suppose that is one option.

I put sythetic fluid (Redline Shockproof Heavy) in mine. It helped - some. Most agree that the beemer tranny will never be super smooth.

I find it interesting that you problem is strictly second to third. In mine all the gears are a little 'heavy' and 'notchy.' I have made the assumption that all beemers are like that. Is second to third considerably worse than the others? (Preloading helps.)

Matt Q

I second the Redline Heavy. My RT came with the Redline in the tranny (I'm the second owner). I've always felt the shifting was fine, and I had Hondas and Kawasakis before the BMWs. Last month I test rode the 1200RT with its redesigned and improved transmission. It did not shift any smoother than my 1150, in fact it was a bit stiffer between first and second. Change your transmission fluid.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just concerned over whether there was something wrong with the transmission and if I should think about getting the extended warranty or not. Going into second and third is where I notice it most, however, I usually shift into these gears at higher RPM's than I do into fourth or fifth, so that could be why. I really only rode it for the first time yesterday, so I need to put some miles on it and play around with the preloading thing. If this is just the way it is, that is fine with me. It doesn't really bother me, I just want to know if something is not right so I can get it fixed. Thanks again for all of the great feedback.

It takes practice to get good smooth shifts on an oilhead transmission. Try shifting at different rpms. One day, try shifting at one rpm in all gears. The next day, increase the rpm by 500 and see what gears it shifts better in. I am on my third oilhead, and all like to be progressively shifted, lower rpms in lower gears, then I found a sweet spot around 4500rpm for shifting into 4th, 5th, and 6th. Transmission oil, at 9,000 miles your bike will shift harder. Some riders change oil every 6K. The "Oilhead Clunk" you have to get used to it, but you'll miss it if you switch to a K bike. Something reassuring about it.

JON

2005 BMWMOA Open House

I just purchased a 2000 R1100RT-P with 54K on the clock. When upshifting into 2nd and 3rd gears, it feels like grinds just a bit before going into gear....

Just give it a manly shift. Remember these german things are dry, just like their women grin.gif

Personally, I don't like the pre-load idea. Not sure if in the long term it damages anything or not, but what I've found to work is very deliberate shifting.

ShovelStrokeEd

In the 200 or so thousand miles I have put on oil head transmissions or their K brethren, I have never encountered damage due to preloading the shifter. Rather than deliberate, a swift sure shift with a bit of preload has always given me smooth shifts. Problem I'm running into is my Blackbird hates that. Since it and my S are parked side by side in front of my apartment and I ride whichever set of keys I snatch from the dresser, I can't seem to shift anything smoothly these days. frown.gif

On my '99 rt 2nd to 3rd is the grindiest shift,1st to 2nd just a little bit. As per this board's advice I have learned to preload and just clutch partially and play with matching rev's.Also preloading on downshifts.Synthetic oil and a fat foot on the shifter.After 6000 miles I rarely create noises that make me cringe.

Someone mentioned character vs. functionality. For lots of folks, the "character" is why we keep coming back. It has always taken dedication, practice and time to ride any of the boxer twins to its full potential. Some people don't go for that. Most of the magazines don't seem to like or understand it. If you want real character, try an Airhead. It will take you at least 10,000 miles to learn to ride one of those quickly and well, but on the right road (one where a power advantage can't be exploited), it will smoke newer, allegedly more capable bikes.

I like this character myself because it keeps my interest level high, I don't know everything there is to know after one ride.

Someone suggested working with your tranny to find the sweet spots. What could be more fun than that?

Enjoy.

Tom Collins

Someone mentioned character vs. functionality. For lots of folks, the "character" is why we keep coming back.... Someone suggested working with your tranny to find the sweet spots. What could be more fun than that?

Tom Collins

Boy, I can think of lot's of things. I find the tranny on the Oilhead to be a *PIA*, to the extent that I don't ride it around town much anymore. Combine the clunky tranny with the occasional burp and hiccup due to the lean mixture and it is just too annoying. It is a beautiful thing out on the open road, though. I do find that the following helps: using only two fingers on the clutch (for better control), pre-loading the shifter, not pulling the clutch lever in all the way (just enough to unload the dogs), and shifting fairly quickly.

Man, I love this site and all you BMW owners out there. Never have I gotten so much good feedback on any other MC site. THANK YOU.

The message thaat I am getting is: "Yes, the transmission is clunky, that's the way it is. Nothing wrong with it." I have ridden it twice for about 200 miles over the weekend, and I have started to get the hang of it. Shifting low helps, and preloading it when I shift higher also hels. I just need more practice. 4th and 5th gear engage flawlessly - it almost seems like they are more "worn in". Being a an ex-CHP bike, I wonder if it just got shifted mostly into 4th and 5th? Well...I am speculating here.....Anyway, I DO ride with earplugs and the trans thing doesn't really bother me as much as it did at first. Thanks again for all the great feedback!

Your taller gears have ratios that are closer together, so the "difference" in rotational speeds that has to be matched when you shift is smaller. So less clunk.

You will find that over time that when you "do not think" about shifting - that is when it will shift the smoothest. Go out enjoy the ride and before you know it you will have a smooth shifting transmission. RonP

I just purchased a 2000 R1100RT-P with 54K on the clock. When upshifting into 2nd and 3rd gears, it feels like grinds just a bit before going into gear....

Just give it a manly shift. Remember these german things are dry, just like their women grin.gif

now thats funny grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

belive it or not, these noisey bad boys are designed to last for years and many miles thumbsup.gif

Shifting low helps, and preloading it when I shift higher also hels.

??? Shifting low??? Do you refer to the RPM? Because I have found that keeping the RPMS up tends to shift much more smoothly. I rarely shift below 3000 - 4000 rpm.

don't expect Japanese smoothness or reliability and just accept the BMW transmission for what it is...

I agree about the smoothness...but disagree about reliability...they don't call them tractor transmissions for nothing. My RT has 60k and most of that has been HARD riding and the tranny just cranks along perfectly. Besides replacing the clutch plate (which is normal) it's been hassle free.

Changing to synthetic lubricant helped a lot as someone else pointed out. A lot of guys use Redline...I use Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in mine and it has made a difference.

Pre-load that sucker and drive on.

Cameron

Boy, I can think of lot's of things. I find the tranny on the Oilhead to be a *PIA*, to the extent that I don't ride it around town much anymore. Combine the clunky tranny with the occasional burp and hiccup due to the lean mixture and it is just too annoying. It is a beautiful thing out on the open road, though. I do find that the following helps: using only two fingers on the clutch (for better control), pre-loading the shifter, not pulling the clutch lever in all the way (just enough to unload the dogs), and shifting fairly quickly.

I wonder if you don't have some problem. Admittedly, BMW transmissions are clunky, but once you get used to them (a few thousands or tens of thousands of miles), I can't imagine thinking much about it. You get used to it and get better at it. In particular, I can't imagine avoiding around-town riding because of noisy clunky shifts.

Looks like I'm in the minority in preferring the 5 speed box to most of the 6 speeders.

With the 5 speed box if you use it properly then you can achieve a decent change and feel some satisfaction in doing so. I actually enjoy the darned thing and only have to wince occasionally.

Most of the 6 speeders I tried just never felt nice (including my own R1100S, K1200RT, R1150GSA and even to some extent my K1200S). I reckon the R1200RT is the first decent 6 speeder I've tried on a BM - unfortunately it was the only big plus on the bike).

Maybe it's cos I was used to old brit iron that I'm more comfortable with the 5 speeder.

Clive Liddell

I agree. IMO The Oilhead engine has a wide enough torque spread to easily handle a 5 speed "spread". I have never felt the need for an additional ratio either in between or on top.

Archived