IGNORED

Kisan vs runnin' lights ?

SpaceKing

I would like some advice on increasing my visibility on my RT. I am looking at the Kisan SM 5 or Runnin' lights as a way to have full time lights on the indicator lights. I know the SM 5 is primarily a signal minder but does provide this feature I am looking for. I like the fact that it just plugs into the switch rather than having to wire with Runnin' Lights. I would have to pay someone to do the wiring with R L as I am not great at electrical. I would also like the strobe thinggy on the rear brake light. Is there a plug in combination for that as well or is that a wiring issue?

Thanks for your help in advance

cheers

beno

I like the Kissan, it fixes two problems with one unit.

I had mine for 4 years, I keep on forgetting to cancel the turnsignal when my tankbag is full. With the topcase on the lighted turnsignals stand out very well.

I can highly recommend it.

I chose the running lights for my GT. It already has signal cancelling, so I didn't need that feature.

If did, I'd still go with both. The Kisan in running light mode will light up the dash turn indicator, which I found distracting on my other bike and later disabled that feature. The runnin' lights are bright LED's, and coupled with the Brake! LED tail light I feel I've got a suitable amount of obnoxious rear lighting (including the flashing brake light) that will help visibility.

Go the Kisan route. The fact that you can set two different levels of running lights (or turn them off) is useful. Plus you get the self cancel feature for the signals. And the same button cancel is a nice feature too.

thumbsup.gifRecently installed Kisan primarily for the turn signal cancellation feature. I really love the running light option though and 2 levels yet.The installation was plug and play, less than 5 minutes! On my rear brake i went with the Hyperlites LED system, also plug and play although it took 10 minutes because i had to pull my tail light assembly. My original Hyperlite quit working after several years of use. Even though it was passed warranty Hypelite replaced it no charge. Good company to deal with. Oh i also run the Kisan headlight modulator and i know this gets attention from the cage drivers IMHO.

Dig deep......go with the Kissan and then add the www.gizmomill.com rear brake light .....both are plug and play and very user friendly and provide the best combination of visability and safety that I have yet to see in all the aftermarket stuff out there....and YOU can install both in less the 15 minutes....the 2 items will run you about $ 225 new.

Yes, the Brake LED tail light gives a strobe-effect (programmable) when the brake is applied followed by a steady on. They are much brighter than the stock light (way brighter).

As far as plug and play, there isn't any splicing or dicing required. The old bulb is removed (as you would when replacing it), the unit is slid into the tail light housing (it's a tight fit, but it will go in) and secured. The bulb socket is then connected to the LED's circuit board. Hardest part of the whole job is getting the unit into the housing and secured.

I bought mine through BMW Santa Cruz - you can see the unit here. That link is for the K12GT, but I recall the box listing the RT as one of the compatible BMW's. Call them, and I'm sure they'd be able to direct you to the right one.

The Runnin' lights are also simple to install, mechanically stuck to the socket base and electrically connected to the tail running light with a set of piggyback spade connectors.

Note, the Kisan will give you running lights on all 4 corners, front and rear. The Runnin' lights are only the rear. For front visibility, I've added a set of PIAA driving lights under the nose cowl.

Beautiful. Thanks for the detailed and full explanation. Much appreciated. I think I will go with the BRAKE! option for the strobe, plus I have to price out Kisan vs Running Lights to see if it is worth it for the plug n play vs the wiring.

Thanks again Spinner!

beno

I ran w/ a Kisan for about two weeks. I had bought it primarily for the running light option and thought that the "signal canceler" function would be a nice "add on".

I couldn't get over the fact that the turnsignal indicators (dash lights) were illuminated @ whatever intensity you ran the running lights. I kept having my attention drawn to them thinking "crap, my turnsignals are on!" Could I have just put electrical tape on 'em? Sure... and I could ride an Ural.

I'll be pulling the bike apart to install a set of aux lights shortly, and while I'm in there I'll be putting in true running lights.

FWIW.

You know that would bug me too. I hadn't thought of that, but that would definately deter me from Kisan. Plus I don't think I need the signal minder. It's not something I forget to do. Thanks for the advice.

Runnin lights cheaper? SM 5 is about two hundred.

Beno

I ran w/ a Kisan for about two weeks. I had bought it primarily for the running light option and thought that the "signal canceler" function would be a nice "add on".

I couldn't get over the fact that the turnsignal indicators (dash lights) were illuminated @ whatever intensity you ran the running lights. I kept having my attention drawn to them thinking "crap, my turnsignals are on!" Could I have just put electrical tape on 'em? Sure... and I could ride an Ural.

I'll be pulling the bike apart to install a set of aux lights shortly, and while I'm in there I'll be putting in true running lights.

FWIW.

flyby -

I got used to the dash lights being lit and, since the SM-5 allows a programmable option to have no running lights, it is a good "double check" to have the dash lights, IMO.

Archived