IGNORED

K1200GT "reluctant" ABS initiation after engine off stop

Doug 55

Hi All, regarding my 2004 K1200GT with about 60K miles:

Brake it to me gently ... what are the most likely cau$es for problems with ABS intiation upon start and getting rolling?

Leaving from home everthing starts up pretty standard with ABS and power braking available.

After most short, engine off, stops I get a rapid flashing ABS light and most times it will not clear (no power assist etc) until stopping, turning off ignition and restarting one to a few times.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Be sure your brake fluid level is not just a little bit low. I had a similar problem that went away after topping off.

Hope yours is a simple problem.

Dennis Andress

A quick list of things I'd check or do...

Weak battery (There has to be X number of volts available when you release the starter button. I don't remeber what X is.)

ABS wheel sensors are too far from wheel

The ignition switch is dirty (The electrical part of the assembly)

Flush the brake system

Sun spots

Dennis

Be sure your brake fluid level is not just a little bit low. I had a similar problem that went away after topping off.

Hope yours is a simple problem.

The resevoir on the rear right has 2 sides.

Sometimes one isn't filled.

Calvin  (no socks)

For 10k miles I experienced occasional flashing, just after a stop....on cold days. I amassed a mind full of scenarios, tested connections and thermal results from voltage drops, all to no avail........

I found that the level in the rear reservoir was at critical mass and the drop in temperature condensed the brake fluid and the warning lamp came on, as temperature during the day rose, so did the fluid level and the warning lamp became inactive. As a science experiment I had to reproduce the findings with consistency to eventually come to the conclusion and top off the rear level. :grin:

Thanks all for the ideas, went for about 200 mile ride in NW Washington yesterday (Arlington, LaConner, Chuckanut drive, Lake Whatcom, highway 9 for those who know this neck of the woods :Cool: ) and out of approx 1/2 dozen stops two required multiple stop and re-start to initate ABS :(

I'm going to try a new battery first; seems consistent with getting "normal ABS light and initiation" when leaving home = fresh off the battery tender, but problems at later stops

With the batt 3-5 years old* prob time for a new one anyhow; I was just searching "battery" on the board for a reminder of preferred brand and source (prob *not* BMW brand at the dealer?)

* 2 yr.s I've had it plus at least 1 year with previous owner = min. 3

• 2 weeks later...

Weak battery is my guess. or too much load on the battery.

When I had a '99 R1100S with ABS, if I started the bike with the high beam or heated handgrips on, I would get the ABS error, no matter how new my battery was or how well charged it was. Handgrips off and low beams, no problem. The computer was that sensitive to the voltage.

My subsequent ABS BMWs have never had that problem.

Archived