IGNORED

NOT Another Battery thread (but it's about Battery Tenders)

Nevets

Maybe you all already know this about the models of Battery Tender products, but I’ll post it anyway….

A month or so ago, I decided to shop for a Battery Tender. Since my bike is going to be sitting in the garage for a few months without being ridden, it seems to be a good idea. Yea, winter stinks here. The situation is that I have a 2003 RT-P with a “12V 19Ah Gelbatterie”, which appears to be an Exide unit.. I’m not sure if it’s the original (factory) battery, but the bike has almost 70K miles on it now. From what I read here, it would seem that if I bought another battery, it most likely would not be a “Gel” type (probably an Oddessy PC680).

So, I explained the situation to the sales department at Battery Tender, and asked them what their recommendation was. They responded with the following:

“I recommend the Battery Tender Plus, 021-0128. It is programmed to charge gel, AGM and standard lead acid batteries. The only gel battery that you would not use on this application would be the Exide, GEL, battery that BMW provides. It uses a specific model of the Battery Tender Plus, 021-0156.”

After a few email exchanges, I was able to finally find out this additional information, which allowed me to make a decision:

“The 021-0156 charges at 0.2 of a volt less than the 021-0128. Some of engineers argue whether or not the difference is enough to actually make a difference. The 021-0156 get the battery up to 14.2 volts, the 021-0128 will get the battery up to about 14.4 volts.”

OK, so it would seem that I should get a the 021-0128, since it should work fairly well for the current, and future batteries. Right? Am I missing something obvious? No, I don’t want to argue the merits of different battery technologies...

Thanks for any wisdom, I learn a lot from you all!

thumbsup.gif

Not another thread with a subject of 'NOT another <whatever> thread'... grin.gif

Short answer, get the standard Battery Tender Plus unit, it'll work fine with anything you throw at it. For details (more than you'll want) do a search, there was a lengthy thread a while ago on this.

ShovelStrokeEd

Since BMW makes no change to the charging system on the motorcycle, regardless of battery type installed, why should you concern yourself.

Purchase whatever charger suits your fancy/pocketbook and be done with it.

The battery can't read and if your real quiet when hooking up the charger and don't talk about max volts or current rating, it'll never know.

hey steve

in uk most people use the oxford optimiser a super bit of kit if you can source state side i would recomend it to anyone.

stay upright thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Thanks all for your comments. I like Jerry's idea of a cheap flat charger, since I can use it on the lawnmower if nothing else. I'll also then get the Battery Tender (the non BMW/Exide specific one), since I may have an ocassion with the cages (and lawnmower) to charge a dead battery occasionally. Can't ever have too many tools and crap to clutter the garage and distress the wife!

Thanks all for your comments. I like Jerry's idea of a cheap flat charger,

Ok, since you like that one, I'll give you my next moneysaving tip. I have a BMW outlet to cigarette lighter adapter that I can use to plug a charger into. My battery chargers all have cigarette lighter males on them so they can plut into the car cigarette lighter. I then put a female onto the clamps that I cut off so that if I want to clamp onto an un-mounted battery I can.

I developed this system when I made a battery box/electronics package to run my telescope in remote areas. I use a 70 amp hour deep cycle battery and it will run my telescope for 2-3 nights without charging. I bring it home and charge it for a few hours with my Sears charger set on 2ams and then hook up the cheap trickle charger. I'm too cheap to buy a battery tender with autoswitching. --Jerry

I have a BMW outlet to cigarette lighter adapter that I can use to plug a charger into.

Makes sense to me, but for a different reason. I have always thought it would be neat to have an adapter like that to allow the use of some low current cigarette lighter devices, like cell phone chargers, etc. If I was too lazy to make my own adapter like you describe (and I probably am), one can purchase a one for about $20 at CycleGadgets.com: PowerLet Power Socket Adapter (# PL-PAC-002). Appears to be fairly well constructed, if you examine the photograph. Has a 6 foot cord, which seems a little excessive in length to me.

Happy star-gazing

[quoteMakes sense to me, but for a different reason. I have always thought it would be neat to have an adapter like that to allow the use of some low current cigarette lighter devices, like cell phone chargers, etc. If I was too lazy to make my own adapter like you describe (and I probably am), one can purchase a one for about $20 at CycleGadgets.com: PowerLet Power Socket Adapter (# PL-PAC-002). Appears to be fairly well constructed, if you examine the photograph. Has a 6 foot cord, which seems a little excessive in length to me.

Happy star-gazing

I believe the cyclegadgets one is the one that I have and indeed, it is pretty well made. It works well for running low power devices but not audio devices--motor or alternator noise, anyway on my bike. Also, when I left it on the bike for a month of the rainy season, a rivet rusted up and I lost continuity until I cleaned it. After that I wired up a fused power lead under the side fairing where I connect all my accessories. --Jerry

Archived