IGNORED

Good news, the rear shock might be leaking!

kelly1005

A few weeks back I was asking about people who may not have loved their aftermarket shocks. As predicted, no one said anything to the effect of "worst money I've spent" so I started kicking around the idea of replacements.

Anyway, I was instructed NOT to go to the dealer for pricing for obvious reasons but I thought while I was there today picking up some other stuff that I would ask their thoughts on the shocks I had. Exactly how do you know they're "worn out". Leaking was one of the obvious signs but I didn't remember seeing any leakage when I last cleaned the bike. A quick glance at the rear shock... and it's got a bunch of oil and grit on it. Hey, maybe it is shot and time to replace them! smile.gif

The bike is going in for a fresh front tire next week, I'll have them look closer when it's up on the rack. I do hope that the dealer can come close to matching the other local vendors in price. I like giving the dealer business when I can, tends to make them stick around.

I was one who was a proponent of standard shocks until I fitted an Ohlins on the rear. You'll find non-factory shocks to be satisfactory in performance and reasonably economical in the long term.

If yours is an '04, the failed shocker will still be covered by warranty.

My rear shocker failed while touring Ireland in July. Even though the bike was out of warranty, as it had only done 19700 miles, BMW came forward with a 50/50 deal on the replacement and my dealer threw in the labour. Total cost, £160.00. Also, because I had paid "towards the cost of replacement", this constitutes an item I as a customer have paid for and therefore, the new shock gets a 2 year warranty applied.

As desirable as the Ohlin's option was/is, financially at that time, £160.00 was to me, the best option (and the OEM part is not actually all that bad, all things considered).

Cheers

Lawrence

Kelly,

The rear shock failed on my 04 RT back in July, during a trip.

I took it into the dealer and asked them if the cost of the OEM part could be applied towards a replacement Ohlin shock. They gladly went for it and gave me a credit of their cost for the BMW shock and installed the new Ohlin under warranty...total cost to me for the Ohlin was about $200 extra. I thought it worked out pretty well. Now my RT is in to have the front put on (straight up replacement this time).

So check with your dealer. Replacement labor should be free of charge and you could be due a hefty credit towards a new aftermarket shock.

Good luck,

Chris

So check with your dealer. Replacement labor should be free of charge and you could be due a hefty credit towards a new aftermarket shock.

I had no idea the shocks would be covered under waranty. I figured they were just a wear item like brakes and tires. Wonder why they didn't mention that to me yesterday? Hmm...

My shock failed at less than 1 year and about 8500 miles (04 RT). It was a pretty catastrophic failure, the shock just puked all it's fluid out in one burp. If your bike is farther into the warranty or has higher mileage, I guess it may be considered a wear item at some point. I don't remember there being any issue about coverage in my circumstance.

I should think you'd be due some sort of prorated coverage at any rate. Maybe your dealer will go to bat for you with BMW.

Good luck,

Chris

Archived