IGNORED

Carbon fiber tripple tree cover ???

Ralph

I'm curious. What is this general fixation with carbon fiber? I can see its use as a structural medium, since it has higher strength than glass fiber or aramids, but why are so may people spending so much money on carbon fiber decorations when no special strength is required, and the amount of carbon fiber used in these gimmicks is obviously insufficient to impart much strength anyway?

Bob.

Bob,

most of it is faux carbon fiber - just a pattern on some nice plastic - just bling......In some cases it's a nice look to keep heel marks off the frame, IMO. (I've a friend that makes some of that for V-Stroms).

all the best,

Mike

I'm curious. What is this general fixation with carbon fiber? I can see its use as a structural medium, since it has higher strength than glass fiber or aramids, but why are so may people spending so much money on carbon fiber decorations when no special strength is required, and the amount of carbon fiber used in these gimmicks is obviously insufficient to impart much strength anyway?

I don't know about other riders, but for me personally? It makes me go a lot faster. I had a Ducati that had a rear carbon fiber fender, and I could ride blazingly fast on that bike, largely because of the weight savings. thumbsup.gif

Hmmm...I don't think you gained that much weight savings from the fender. Most BMW riders don't care about keeping their bikes light. A 600 plus lb bike is not exactly svelte.

I assume the original poster just wanted the carbon fiber to look good. I would think that the faux stuff would be better in that case as it is probably not as sbuject to fading.

Hmmm...I don't think you gained that much weight savings from the fender. Most BMW riders don't care about keeping their bikes light. A 600 plus lb bike is not exactly svelte.

I assume the original poster just wanted the carbon fiber to look good. I would think that the faux stuff would be better in that case as it is probably not as sbuject to fading.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Uhhhh. Looks like I hooked a victim with my satire. tongue.gif

I thought it might be sarcasm...

...the lowest common denominator.

Oh! Touche'!! grin.gif

Ralph, I'd go with the recommendations you received for Santa Cruz and/or Wunderlich. For others, I think the intent here is to retain the condition of the triple tree; save it from getting marred by the keys & fob or what-have-you. CF? I doubt it realy IS CF, in fact, better if it is not, for longevity.

OTOH, it WILL make you faster! I read it online. cool.gif

Ralph I have the Wunderlich carbon fiber triple tree cover and it looks great. See my avatar actually.

I only have the bike key on the key ring with a soft rubber fob and still the carbon fiber is scratched a little where the ring rubs. Without the carbon fiber my triple tree was getting really ugly looking.

I don't know about other riders, but for me personally? It makes me go a lot faster. I had a Ducati that had a rear carbon fiber fender, and I could ride blazingly fast on that bike, largely because of the weight savings. thumbsup.gif

Not only lighter, but the thinner wallet reduces back pain.

Besides; weight has little to do with speed. Methinks this was a joke! But regarding the faux stuff being less subject to fading, that is a bit odd. The real stuff derives its color from carbon, which cannot possibly fade (no more than iron or brass can fade).

Bob.

CF does fade. The exhaust on my Duc is testament to that. I have friends with fenders who have also seen the fading.

Then it isn't the carbon that's fading. Outright impossible. Carbon is black and cannot fade. Maybe the polyester or epoxy resin is becoming opaque.

Bob.

I had a Ducati that had a rear carbon fiber fender, and I could ride blazingly fast on that bike, largely because of the weight savings.

I apologize for being late with this suggestion. Since the carbon fiber weight savings is so much faster, try taking about half of the air out of the tires and save even more weight. clap.gif

Archived