IGNORED

Electrical Accessories on an Airhead?

Hollow Road Rider

Hollow Road Rider

I just bought a '94 R100R. It's all original with no add-ons.

Can I add a FUZEBLOCK or a Centech box to this bike so I can power some accessories?

In other words, will the standard alternator handle it?

I'm thinking of stuff like a heated seat, aux lighting, a louder horn??

The Centech box is not a problem, it just depends how much stuff you add to it. A horn is not a problem because it is not a continuous draw. Heated seat would be at the bottom of my list. The airheads have the problem of not too much available extra power for accessories. There are some fairly new LED lights available with good light and low power consumption.

My '95 R100R handles my heated gear off the acc. plug just fine. But I usually just use it when riding on the highway. My '94 R100GSPD came with a pair of 55 watt driving lights, I never uses them. Horns had been upgraded on both bikes with no problem.

The later airheads came with a 240 watt alternator, and that was when they were new and everything was fresh. I imagine if you want a heated seat you could probably run it OK if the wattage was under 100, or you could run on heat for a while and then cycle off for the battery to refresh.

I do like the heated seat on my R1200RT, but there is nothing like riding an airhead.

Hollow Road Rider
Louder horn is meaningless, just use proper relay.

Aux lighting should probably follow how BMW did it, i.e. just one.

Which BMW had just one Aux light?

• 4 weeks later...
Louder horn is meaningless, just use proper relay.

Aux lighting should probably follow how BMW did it, i.e. just one.

Which BMW had just one Aux light?

The BMW systems with two aux lights only ever lit one at a time.

Bad writing on my part caused confusion.

Archived