IGNORED

Suggested Dealer(s) For Set of Tires

marcopolo

After I ride out to Salida my wife will be flying into Denver. We have a three week ride planned for after the UnRally. It's essentially a loop heading through Colorado (Ouray), Utah (Torrey, Moab and Zion), Nevada (Las Vegas), Arizona (Sedona), New Mexico (Farmington and Santa Fe), then back up to Denver for the flight home. I will need a new set of tires while I'm out west. While I certainly haven't decided for sure, I'm leaning towards Colorado as the place to do it (perhaps ride up from Salida to Colorado Springs, or in conjunction with picking my wife up in Denver). Can anyone recommend a competent BMW dealer where I can get a set of Pilot Road 3s?

Of the two BMW dealers in Denver, I would suggest using BMW of Denver (http://www.bmwofdenver.com/) rather than Foothills BMW (http://www.foothillsbmw.com/). I had a couple of less than stellar experiences in the past with Foothills. But I don't really have a lot of experience with either one, so don't take that as a particularly strong recommendation.

If you don't mind heading up near Fort Collins, I would recommend an independent shop called Beemers and More (http://www.beemersandmore.com/). They have always been helpful and seem to be pretty good. The BMW dealership that is up in that area (http://www.coloradoeuro.com) also seems helpful, but I don't have any experience with their work.

No matter who you pick, be sure to call them way ahead of time to make sure they have the tires you want, and can get you in. They all seem to be relatively busy in the summer.

Buy em on line and have em shipped to the hotel. I will have everything you need to do the job. Not to mention 30 or 40 experts to tell us how to do it.

:rofl:

L

And yet another option would be to contact Sean at Mountain Tech Yamaha Beta which is about 20 milea north of Salida in Nathrop/Buena Vista, he's a great guy, a competent wrench, and is easy to work with (he's the owner too). Tire changing and light maintenance would be a snap for him.

There are three dealers in the Salt Lake City area. Two of these are BMW dealers the third I would recommend is an Independent BMW shop. Any can sell/mount tires or do repairs.

BMW Motorcycles of Utah

BMW Motorcycles of Salt Lake

Bavarian Motorcycle Works

You might consider contacting Motorcycle Superstore and have a set sent to a preferred shop that they recommend for mounting. They have a program with ratings for shops. Check it out on their Website or call them.

Or, as Mr Whip suggested. he'll assist you with many eyes looking on...

...as Mr Whip suggested. he'll assist you with many eyes looking on...

History has proven this to be a correct statement. At the John Day UN it took about 10 guys to change a lightbulb on an RT. (I have the pictures to prove it.)

...as Mr Whip suggested. he'll assist you with many eyes looking on...

History has proven this to be a correct statement. At the John Day UN it took about 10 guys to change a lightbulb on an RT. (I have the pictures to prove it.)

I could only get five of them in the frame. :grin:

336091068_RSJw7-L.jpg

Buy em on line and have em shipped to the hotel. I will have everything you need to do the job. Not to mention 30 or 40 experts to tell us how to do it.

:rofl:

L

That's after they've had 3 or 4 beers...... :/ Ken H had a tire changing party at the Ye Olde New England UNrally in 2009. All of them must have done it right, he made it home. :thumbsup:

Unrally tire changing party.......featuring Ken :grin:

5250_122002109356_554499356_2260323_2989743_n.jpg

Mighty nice of them to have a Harbor Freight tire changer on hand. But where's the MojoLever? :grin:

Mighty nice of them to have a Harbor Freight tire changer on hand. But where's the MojoLever? :grin:

In Ken's hand. I think it was the limited edition blue version

• 4 months later...

Just to close off this old thread, I've just made an appointment to have a set of Pilot Road 3s mounted at BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas a week after the UnRally. I concluded I should have no worries about needing them any earlier in our trip. Thanks to all for the earlier suggestions, including having tires shipped to the hotel in Salida and mounting them there. Recognizing my complete lack of mechanical skill -- notwithstanding the offers to "supervise" and/or assist me -- I figured the sanest option was to have a dealer do it (besides, that would just cut into beer-drinking time). The only issue will be whether I melt from the early August heat on the way from the hotel to the dealer in Vegas.

Mark, you are welcome to change them here and spend a night or two, if this is after the rally, or immediately before. We might be on the road until just before the UN.

We have a no-mar changer and a Marc Parnes balancer. You can ship your tires here ahead.

Mark, you are welcome to change them here and spend a night or two, if this is after the rally, or immediately before. We might be on the road until just before the UN.

We have a no-mar changer and a Marc Parnes balancer. You can ship your tires here ahead.

Thanks for the offer, Jan, but I'll be good to go with getting them changed out in Las Vegas. We've got three days there and I've booked for the day we arrive.

Archived