IGNORED

Low Seat Height

uk1200RT

Hello all,

I have a question that, hopefully, someone knows the answer too. I ordered my 1200RT with the lowered seat (I am 5'8" and wanted both feet flat riding with a pillion). The question is, how do they get the seat down to 270mm versus the 320 or 350 standard? Is it just a matter of adjusting ride height on the rear shock? If so, I wonder how much that will screw up the handling (as I am sure they don't adjust the front to keep the geometry even).

Any clues?

Just thinner foam, no change to the rest of the bike at all. I find the seat very comfortable and good for day long riding

Steve Carter

Hello all,

I have a question that, hopefully, someone knows the answer too. I ordered my 1200RT with the lowered seat (I am 5'8" and wanted both feet flat riding with a pillion). The question is, how do they get the seat down to 270mm versus the 320 or 350 standard? Is it just a matter of adjusting ride height on the rear shock? If so, I wonder how much that will screw up the handling (as I am sure they don't adjust the front to keep the geometry even).

Any clues?

I have an RT with the low seat option. (At 5'6", I can just almost flatfoot it.) The lower seat height is accomplished by reshaping and padding of the seat (compared to the "standard" seat option). The suspension is not changed - therefore handling will be unaffected between the low, standard and tall seat options.

Am also vertically challenged and tried both the low comfort and standard seats on my R1200RT. It is just a matter of padding as the casting/parts number on both seat pans is the same.

Had the standard redone by Sargents and use it after I lowered the bike by an inch with new shocks.

Thanks all....I am glad to know that the steering remains the same. I would not want to sacrifice the turn in and other good handling characteristics of this bike.

Now I just wish it would come in so I could ride it! It's like waiting for Christmas!!!!

It's the inseam folks. I'm 5' 7 1/4" with an extra 1/2" in the soles of my boots. But the inseam is just over 27". I can just get the balls of both feet on the ground at one time. I started with the low seat and Rick Mayer made me a new seat but really didn't take it down much as there really isn't much more to take out with the low seat.

Archived